Bought all the componants today to recreat a class 1 mower deck

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by moopups, Jun 26, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    And will weld them together in the future so I have a class one rotary mower for my Kubota class 1 tractor; the question is what can I coat the underside of the deck with that will prevent corrosion? Actually not corrosion but sand blasting from this light sand soil, AR aluminum? Ceramic coating? Asbestosis plateing? Your ideas please.

2. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

How about a thick bituminous paint as used for roofing? If this is a flat surface you may get good protection with a 5/8" thick sheet of construction ply.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I think the bedliner coating used on trucks would work. I have not tried it but I have been thinking of using the truck bed coating on my rotary cutter.

4. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

I'm not sure ho-w well the bedliner or bitumastic would hold up to abrasion.

My old gravely leaks a fair amount of oil from its lower seal which then gets flung around under the mower. the underside of the deck looks pretty corosion free and I never clean it out unless I'm taking the blade off. Pretty good for a 50 year old mower

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Here in Florida the soil is sand, very loose abrasive sand, a commerical mowing deck is lucky to last 3 years. Its not corrosion as much as it is sand blasted!

6. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

why not cut a rubber tire in half on the tread ? cheap replacable liner. sand will wear it away but should get some years use, tire scrapers in dairy barns last many years with daily use.

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Checked on spray on bed liner just today, they said $275.00 or more. That settles it for my other choise, single ply rolled roofing material. Its rubberized, heat activated adhesive and 3/8th thick, should last the rest of my life and is only $80.00 per 100 square feet. A single roll at 33' should leave me about 20' leftover for other projects in the future.

8. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

get a few cans of asphalt undercoating at your local pep boys, advance or auto zone. thats what i used on mine. put a nice thick coat and three years later it looks the same.