Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. I'm a hobby beekeeper with aspirations of doing it full time in a few years. As part of that plan, my wife and I bought a little piece of farmland and are building a small kit cabin. We're hoping to get moved there permanently in the next 6 months.

I'm trying to document the build as best I can on youtube:

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome......Form Wisconsin...
Keep us posted.

·
Otiose Endomorph
3,641 Posts
Doesn't seem all that small...nice sunny locale with trees. Looks beautiful.
Have they finished the framing?
Any pics?
What is the name of your septic system...I recall looking at that one when researching septic systems...forgot name (company).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice video presentation. Going to be a nice cabin! Love the doors! Good luck with your endeavor.
Thanks, Rob! The cabin's a bit further along...I'll continue to post update videos as I get them edited if folks are interested in how it turns out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doesn't seem all that small...nice sunny locale with trees. Looks beautiful.
Have they finished the framing?
Any pics?
What is the name of your septic system...I recall looking at that one when researching septic systems...forgot name (company).
Small is relative, I reckon. Compared to our current house (2600 sq ft) and most new subdivision houses that are being built nowadays, it's tight in there. It's two bedroom, two bathroom; but they're very small rooms, and it doesn't look like there's going to be space for a proper dining table. So it definitely feels small for what I'm used to. That's one of the reasons we put it on a basement thought...doubles the available square footage, even if it's not finished living space...it gives us a lot of room for storage, plus utilities, laundry, etc.

I don't know the specific name of the septic system. I just figured it was a standard septic.

The framing is a trick question...there's not really true framing on this house. The house is supported by the log walls instead of frames. There are 2x4s on the exterior walls to hold the insulation, but it's not providing any structural support.

Since you asked, I'll give you a sneak peak of a recent picture of the cabin build. Don't tell anybody though...it's supposed to be a big reveal later...

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I noticed there’s no wall insulation, what’s it rated?
There is wall insulation, but it's not shown yet on this video. The kit comes with an optional insulation package for the exterior walls, which consists of a bunch of metal brackets and tongue-and-groove boards. The finished r-values should be 20 on the walls and about 37 on the ceiling/roof.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Very nice, Art .. I love the sound track choice to go with the presentation. That looks like a very nice , well engineered "kit." Would you mind sharing who manufactures that? Also, have you experienced any snafus with the assembly of it? Thanks for sharing your cabin!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very nice, Art .. I love the sound track choice to go with the presentation. That looks like a very nice , well engineered "kit." Would you mind sharing who manufactures that? Also, have you experienced any snafus with the assembly of it? Thanks for sharing your cabin!
Art, as I'm sure you know, the soundtrack can make or break a video. Sometimes I'll finish a video and love it because of the music, and sometimes I'll finish and hate it because I couldn't find the right song.

The kit is manufactured from Northern European Pine by a company out of Estonia called "EZ Log Structures." There's a construction company near me in St. Louis that's got one of these as a model, so that's how I heard of them. In addition to milling all the logs, they include windows, doors, and hardware to hold it all together. Then they stick it all on a shipping container and send it to your job site. I'm not affiliated with the company (just a customer), but EZ Log Structures is trying to grow their business here in the US. If you look at their webpage (http://www.ezlogstructures.com/products/), they've usually got a few kits on sale--that's the best time to buy them. This is the kit that I bought: http://www.ezlogstructures.com/products/estonia-70mm-2-34/. But I didn't pay the price shown here because it was on sale at the time.

If you (or anyone) is interested, I'm in fairly regular contact with the lead salesman (he's Canadian, but lives in Europe), and I'll put you in touch with him. You can always ask him which models he's planning to put on sale in the future to see if there's a deal worth waiting for.

As far as snafus...I've got a crew of professional builders doing most of the work, so it's gone fairly smoothly from my perspective. They did take 2-3 days at first just studying the instructions and putting together a plan before they started stacking logs. They told me that if I'd have gotten a young crew and they just started throwing it together without without adequate planning, it could've caused problems. Of course, my build is way more complicated because it's on a full basement and it's going to be our actual home. If someone just wanted to buy one of these to use as a weekend cabin on a slab foundation, it'd probably be a lot easier (and less expensive) to do.

One thing I didn't think about enough before we started was the fact that--because the walls are just stacked logs--there's nowhere to run electric, hvac, and plumbing on interior walls. The exterior walls have a cavity since I'm putting in insulation, but we had to get creative for venting faucets, for instance, that are against interior walls. If you did one of these on a slab, it'd make it even worse since you wouldn't be able to run utilities under the floor.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The kit didn’t have an option to cut out cavities for electrical or plumbing? I’ve seen some kits where they are already cut out for you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The kit didn’t have an option to cut out cavities for electrical or plumbing? I’ve seen some kits where they are already cut out for you.
I don't think so, but that would be a question I'd have to ask the manufacturer to be sure. We're running electrical on the interior walls using metal conduit. I actually really like the look to be honest with you. The plumbing is coming up through the floor whenever possible. For venting drains in a couple spots, we're getting creative and running exposed 3" copper pipe up through the roof, and using it as an accent piece.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Welcome to the forum. How long have been a hobby bee keeper? I have had a hive for three years and I also bought a farm recently and I'm planning to expand and see what kind of income I can generate with the bees. Are going to sell bee products and/or do you plans for "renting out" the hives to farmers?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts