Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a .380 Taurus Spectrum.
Did a little research and it seems to draw favorable marks.
Does anyone have experience with these?
My youngest daughter is going for her concealed carry permit.
I'll sign this gun over to her when It goes through.
I like how small it is as women seem to have trouble because of the cut of their clothes to carry concealed. At least in my opinion.
I offered her a 9mm like my ec9s but she said it was too big.
Her job takes her into some very sketchy parts of the city at night. I wish she'd quit that job.
I did buy her a taxes and she does carry a knife but for a petite girl that ain't much.
Once she gets her permit I'm going to train the living hell out of her.
Two in the chest, one in the head.
Opinions please.

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
1,600 Posts
.380 is more potent than some folks think. I carry one when I don't want it to be seen.

Folks talk bad about Taurus, too. But I have not had any bad experience with them.

Make sure you both wear hearing protection when practicing.

ETA: You can edit a post. Click the 3 dots in the top right corner of a post and edit is an option.

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would prefer she carries something heavier too.
My eldest daughter carries a .380 but only as a backup to her .357 Ruger.
Hopefully with enough training for accuracy will make the difference.
Its not the size of the gun as much as the skill of the hand using it.
Two in the chest, one in the knee, one in the head, run

Reactions: muleskinner2

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
.380 is fine as long as you don’t skimp on the ammo. I’ve put a bunch of .380 into ballistic gel, and there is a wide gap in performance between the cheap .380 and even a basic 9mm JHP. Some of the modern .380s, with powder specifically chosen for complete burn in the pocket-pistol barrel-lengths that we generally shoot it in can do quite well. I’ve seen .380 Hornady AG, for one, perform to within an inch or so of the 9mm equivalent in gel.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I don’t have experience with the Taurus, but I did buy my wife a S&W EZ Shield .380 a while back. She loves it.
She isn’t petite, but has arthritis and fibromyalgia so figured it would be a good fit. I also debated the 9mm question, but we agree now that the .380 was the right choice.

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
1,600 Posts
Big guns are great . . . if you have one with you. But frequently (especially in the summer time) it's not easy to carry a 1911. Women have an advantage of having a purse.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Get the right ammo and train the hell out of her. Not just paper targets, get her to a Hogan's Alley type of range if you can, get a little adrenalin pumpin'.

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've heard that FMJ is best in the .380 as the hollow points do not penetrate as far.
Any truth to that?

·
Super Moderator
9,633 Posts
I've heard that FMJ is best in the .380 as the hollow points do not penetrate as far.
Any truth to that?
have her shoot it a bunch before you sign it over to her. smaller they get the harder they get to shoot.

typically it is that 380 often does not get enough velocity from the short barrel to expand and they act like fmj

this guy did a bunch of testing of 380 ammo with some different guns

the other thing to remember is 380 and pocket guns in general are distance makers , you use them to break contact and make your escape to get to safety then call police.

·
Premium Member
27,082 Posts
Big guns are great . . . if you have one with you. But frequently (especially in the summer time) it's not easy to carry a 1911. Women have an advantage of having a purse.
IMO, as a woman who often carries a purse, a concealed carry piece should not be kept in a purse. A few women have been killed when their children got hold of the gun in their purse. Way too many women leave their purses unattended which is an open invitation for snatchers. It's bad enough when a purse snatcher gets your money, id and credit cards. You don't want them getting your gun too.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Any truth to that?
Watch the YouTube tests. Something like Critical Defense will do more damage than your typical 9MM FMJ of olden times.
Your typical 2” barrel in your typical mouse gun like my Rugar LCP has a lot to do with the poorer ballistics just as it does with any gun. Accuracy suffers as well. Those are the trade offs for conceal ability. My LCP is so small it sits in my pocket looking like a wallet or cell phone.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm having this issue now. Weather is nice and I'm carrying a 1911. Taurus actually, which I love.

Being 6'1"", most lightweight over shirts are too short to completely cover the end of the barrel.

I don't want an inside waistband holster for many reasons.

I would go short barreled .357 or .38 but can't find anything worthwhile around here.

·
Super Moderator
9,633 Posts
Duluth long tail T's and alwasy buying Tall shirts helps
some shirts are just cut very short , one brand I need a 4XLT and they still seem short

fishing shirts are a little better cover longer and are light weight. Men’s PFG Tamiami™ II Short Sleeve Shirt - Tall

I often go to a pocket gun when weather gets warm in a Kydex holster it is as thing and light and as cool as it gets .060 kydex
some of the pocket holsters are like putting insulation in your pocket you leg just sweats a lot more there

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
I do own one of these Taurus Spectrum 380's. It really slides in the pants pocket well. I use a uncle Mike's pocket holster and have no issues with Summer carry. Be sure to load the mags and give the springs the exercise they need to function properly.....it is advised in the guns handbook. I shoot federal hydro shock jhp and have no function issues at all with that ammo....I did have a few stovepipes with fmj ammo, but that was only a few issues when new out of the box. Yep, I prefer my 40cal M&P during Winter, but don't feel bare with this little spectrum...it's all about shot placement... the caliber is more than enough to do the job.

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I heard it take a bit to break it in.
Haven't even had a chance to fire it yet.
.380 ammo is rarer than hens teeth around here. Bought 50 reloads for $39.
Highway robbery.

Reactions: Drizler

·
Super Moderator
9,633 Posts
was at a store Friday 55.99 for 50 9mm fmj stuff that would have been 18 dollars box before

I didn't buy any but he had about 8 boxes at that price if you had to have them

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok
Finally shot it this afternoon.
If a bad guy was more than five feet away he would have nothing to worry about.
I've got a bad shoulder but could probably chuck a bowling ball more accurately.
Guess I have some work to do.

·
Registered
34,279 Posts
Ok
Finally shot it this afternoon.
If a bad guy was more than five feet away he would have nothing to worry about.
I've got a bad shoulder but could probably chuck a bowling ball more accurately.
Guess I have some work to do.
I have the predecessor, the Taurus 738 TCP .380.

It is a belly gun. You are right 5 feet tops, maybe 10, but no more for sure

1 - 20 of 29 Posts