Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how they do as a little washer, But I really wanted to know how they would do as a butter churn. An responses?? I paid $25 for it. It has a red feame the drum sets in. and the handle is red. I think the drum was a blue, but thats long gone. The inside is clean and nice. On the outside, low, theres a small 1/4in pipe comeing out of it about 1 1/2in dia. What was that for.. I might close it off. Well. as I said, hopeing to hear from people who have made butter with it>

·
Registered
947 Posts
I've wondered how well those things work as a washer too.

If you use it as a washer let us know how well it does. I just can't see it getting jeans clean. Maybe dainty "unders" or something small and light weight.

But let us know how well it makes butter too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't have experience with one as a butter churn, but I did get my DH a Wonderwash for at his martial arts school. He has been washing his uniform and towels and such in it after class, as well, some of the students have been using it. It honestly gets the sweaty uniforms and musty towels squeaky clean- cleaner and fresher than our regular washer, and only uses a small squirt of soap! We put the laundry soap in a handsoap dispenser and it takes about half a squirt.
The pipe at the bottom is for draining the water.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I also have a Wonder Washer. I use it when my levis get really grungy......mud, manure, etc. I spray the worst stains with spot remover, add a little detergent to the hot water, and then turn it for 4-5 minutes. The levis come out cleaner than any automatic washer.

I don't know how it would work for butter. I am thinking that you might need to use a large quantity of milk, and that it might have to be cranked "back and forth" (as opposed to the same direction).

FBB, try it, and let us know how it works......

·
Gefion's Plow
325 Posts
Of course, you want to make sure all the soap and dirt is out of the thing. Otherwise the butter'll be pretty nasty.

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
I also have a Wonder washer. works pretty good when the washing achine is down. I have difficulty with wringing tho, arthritis of hands. Someone on one of these forums suggested getting a mop and wringer bucket and reserving it to wring laundry. Oh, if you use it as a washer don't use cold water. water must be anywhere from tepid to really hot.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
hmm, when we move into a camper for the summer, maybe this would be a better option than using the laudromat that whole time? i really don't like washing where others wash. and i esp. don't like going to town! and would one of those things do well for coveralls, etc. that i really dont' like putting in my reg. washer anyhow? i dont' want to buy more stuff when i'm trying to downsize, but that is a neat little thing!

·
Gefion's Plow
325 Posts
Glad to see the good reviews on the wonderwash. Would anybody suggest it for full time use over washing with a plunger and that whole setup?

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
I did a google search on wonderwash reviews, and the general concensus seemed to be that the Lehman's version was better than the Laundry Alternative one. Still don't have an answer for you on using it as a butter churn, though. :)

Am thinking about getting one for myself now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts