Homesteading Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts
Would not have guessed plywood to be cheaper.

Getting that concrete excess moved out of the way would sure make the sheathing job safer and easier. Probably got to move it anyway sooner or later.

Doing hurricane straps on the rafters ?

Work looks nice. Congrats on the project.

Discussion starter · #47 ·
Paid 4 bucks for 2x4 studs and 11.48 for 2x6x12 Thursday
Today 5.50 for a stud and 14.35 for 2x6x12
Did door windows and wall sheeting today
Other hand didn't show up, said he had bipolar mama drama.

Discussion starter · #54 ·
I got the windows trimmed out today. They are remodel windows instead of new construction. I think I'm going to seal the plywood somehow until I know what I'm going to do for siding if anything. Might just run 1x4 on the joints and corners, caulk, seal it and call it good.

Attachments

Pella makes good windows.
As long as they're installed correctly (which would be the case with all windows). All of mine are falling apart and I'm having to replace them. :(
I got the windows trimmed out today. They are remodel windows instead of new construction. I think I'm going to seal the plywood somehow until I know what I'm going to do for siding if anything. Might just run 1x4 on the joints and corners, caulk, seal it and call it good.
Are you planning to use house wrap or something like that? From the photos you definitely look like you know what you're doing, but I'm curious about the lack of flashing on the window and door openings. That's actually what happened with my windows - all the wood around the frames is rotting out.

Discussion starter · #57 ·
No house wrap I'm going to paint or some type of oil based sealer for the plywood and trim. To the right is another 14x20 addition that will be the bedroom. Then on the front when that is finished 12x20.
That's the plan as of now.

It’s going to be a pain but one of the places that seems to never get painted is the very bottom edge of the siding (in your case the plywood). Water splashes up and absorbs into the edge of the material. Dew on grass thats left to get to tall also adds up.

So be sure to paint several coats on the very bottom of the plywood. Yep, its a pain, laying on the ground to get to that bottom edge but well worth it.

Discussion starter · #59 ·
The bottom is critical, I got a case of 12 tubes of silicone caulk on a deal for 15 bucks.
I'll caulk the bottom.
Place on town has 20 foot gutters
I'll gutter this part as water slashing with no gutters is really bad.
No grass around house, it will be Creek gravel as I don't want any drainage issues
My concrete is about 4" above grade.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.