Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up 3 new pedigreed NZW does last night from the same rabbitry where we bought our buck.
When my DH called he told the owner we wanted unrelated animals to my buck. She told us she had several from 2 monthes to 2 years old.
She showed us several does and I picked out the 6 month doe with the roundest butt.
Didn't like the other 6 month old doe, just too skinny.
Then we picked out 2 fryer size does. From 2 different mothers.
After we got them all in the carry cages she told us they were related to our buck, one being his daughter. I didn't think any thing of it till I started looking over their pedigrees.
Obviously I could breed all 3 does to my buck to get fryers, it's the saving replacements that is confusing me.
Each pedigree has some of the same rabbits on it. 2 of the doe has the same mother and my bucks father is the grand father of two of the does.
The question is where do I go from here. Is this going to require the purchase of a second buck later?

·
Ex-homesteader
1,508 Posts
Some of the newer does are your buck's nieces?? Yeah, you'll probably have to purchase or trade for a second buck eventually, but I think you could breed a couple of generations without running into problems. Do you know anyone else in the area with NZW?

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No one I can trust. I bought a bunch before and they were sick. we had to cull them all.
We're going to the show next month. I am consitering adding a California buck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.