bouchard's nodes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by GoatsRus, Sep 12, 2006.

1. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

I didn't want to hijack sue's cold hands thread, so I thought I'd post this by itself. Does anyone have Bouchard's nodes on the middle joint of their fingers? I developed what I suspect is one on my ring finger of my right hand. What kind of natural/herbal remedies do you use? Right now it doesn't hurt, but it's raised and red.

2. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Would that be like a ganglion cyst?
    I've got one on a toe joint.

The best way to get rid of them is enough pressure to rupture them.

3. Salmonberry

Salmonberry Registered Nut

No, they are bony prominences, especially on middle finger joints, related to arthritis. Don't try to rupture them, it will only hurt.

Salmonberry

4. babygoats!

babygoats! Well-Known Member

I have them. So far, all I've done for/with them is try not to "whack" them on anything when I'm working on something...that REALLY hurts.
    Doctor just tells me to take pain killers. I don't. It'd be really nice to know of something that would help.

5. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I go in next week to have two lumps checked out. They are at the base of two fingers, one is soft and the other is pea sized and hard. Would these be considered ganglion cysts or bouchard's nodes?

6. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

My understanding is that bouchard's nodes are on the middle joints. It's called something else if it's on the first joint. I'm not sure if that's what I have, though I'm pretty sure. It's prominent in women who are in or going into menopause.....and this just appeared a few months ago.

7. bill177

bill177 Member

They are called Heberden's nodes. The appearance and cause is the same, just a different location.

You get old and you will become acquainted with all these ailments. You can take glucosamine and chondroitin as a "treatment" or "preventive" - so they say. :hobbyhors

However, men should not take chondroitin due to a possible link with prostate cancer. Read the later here:

http://www.prostateforum.com/info-chondroitin.htm

8. Mrs. Vet

Mrs. Vet Well-Known Member

Thank you Bill, I too was going to suggest glucosamine. For pain and swelling associated with arthritis, I use MSM. Works great!