Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few cases of store bought bottled water that the expiration date on it is 2011. I know I should have been rotating but I missed these cases. What is your feeling on them? Are they ok to drink? Thanks.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is in plastic. :( I agree about that, and hadnt given it any thought. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Suggest you take 'old' water & use for things like washing hands, dishes, grey water applications.
Always wondered if you mix 'old' water with fresh water, add couple drops of chlorine & left to stand for 48 hrs, if that would improve the quality. Perhaps use it in the garden?
Any thoughts if this is worth the effort?

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Think about getting -glass- containers.. . . Mason jars . ??
There has been lots of controversy about the nasty stuff that they used in the plastic containers.

Transfer to glass, add a drop of bleach, and it will be good to go.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I've used older water just fine. Hold the bottle up to the light. If you don't see anything floating or any discoloration, you're probably fine. Smell it when you open the cap. There should be no odor at all .
Good luck
SC

Reactions: melco

·
Super Moderator
9,428 Posts
those water bottles are typically packed with nitrogen so there is basically no air to worry about , they should be safe to drink but sub optimal taste , get one good and cold and taste it , if you didn't notice any bad taste and you probably won't next time you have some work even or such toss them all in a cooler with a bunch of ice and offer them to all workers or such

or keep rotating them into the fridge to get good and cold and drink them up

we buy a case or 5 of water from time to time , I use a Nalgean bottle all the time but they are handy to have little disposable water bottles around especially around volenteer activities

·
Super Moderator
9,428 Posts
as for glass great for storage , lousy for transport

there was a benefit annalists of glass water bottles vs plastic even plastic with BPA , the risks are on the side of glass , a chip that pops loose that you drink , is now a glass chard chewing up you innards DR's have very solid evidence of that along with glass bottles that were being carried and the person slipped and fell and smashed the glass and got very cut up.

while concerns of plastic are real the statistical evidence shows more harm from glass , even if the plastic is changing your hormonal ballance it isn't making you seriously injured before a normal life expectancy.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Glass won't work well if the emergency is an earthquake. You'd end up with broken, wet glass. I basically take one of the old bottles to drink occasionally and replace them with new. And I put the bottles in a plastic container in case of leaks.

·
Rocky Mountain Deserts
674 Posts
Plastic bottles of watter can put some pretty nasty stuff in your system, including: bisphenol A, polyethylene terephthalate, and styrene. The longer the water sits in those bottles, the higher concentration you are swallowing. We can all pretty well agree that pure water doesn't really have a shelf life - it can become contaminated pretty easily tho. So why does bottled water have an expiration date? Hopefully we have included water filtration methods in our preps. I myself don't like glass for storing water, but Aluminum and Stainless Steel water containers are on my wish list.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Water, being just two elements, never goes 'bad'.... the medium storing it can go bad... or, critters can start growing in it, if not treated....

Even if it doesn't taste great, your body will appreciate it, if it comes down to nasty water, or no water. Been in some 'no water at all' scenarios, and drank mud when I finally found some....

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
The water in the bottles is good (safe), but it tastes bad after it gets old. I would use it for watering dogs, filling the washer, etc. I save plastic juice bottles, pop bottles, etc and fill them once a year. The old water is used for dogs, washing, etc. Rotation is for better flavor not for safety.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Plastic bottles of watter can put some pretty nasty stuff in your system, including: bisphenol A, polyethylene terephthalate, and styrene. The longer the water sits in those bottles, the higher concentration you are swallowing. We can all pretty well agree that pure water doesn't really have a shelf life - it can become contaminated pretty easily tho. So why does bottled water have an expiration date? Hopefully we have included water filtration methods in our preps. I myself don't like glass for storing water, but Aluminum and Stainless Steel water containers are on my wish list.
I feel stainless steel and glass (also fired ceramics) are the only safe way of storing water. All other containers will give of some chemicals or metal oxides to pollute the water.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone. We do have water filtration in our preps along with water stored others ways. These are some cases that were stored with other preps and forgotten about. I will keep them and use them for non drinking scenarios.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts