Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 3 year old Nigerian Dwarf doe who seems to have bottle jaw. Here's what we know: She kidded with healthy twins 6 weeks ago and was dewormed with Quest. She is milked daily. Copper bolus about 7 weeks ago. Pale eyelids, even though she was dewormed. DH gave another round of Quest and a dose of Red Cell this morning when he noticed the swollen jaw. Her temp is normal. Pees and poops normally. Still eating hay, browse, and pelleted feed on the stand. Seems to have plenty of energy; she fought DH this morning over the Quest and Red Cell. No other affected herd members. I have injectable high level vitamin B complex. I can take fecal sample in tomorrow. It has been warm and VERY wet around here lately.

What do I do to make it better? Will the Vitamin B complex help? If so, how much and how often?

Thanks in advance for your help. We don't get a lot of sick goats here, and when we do, I tend to freak out a little. I know that things can go wrong quickly, and I don't want to lose my sweet girl.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Generally an EFFECTIVE deworming will 'cure' this relatively quickly. If they are anemic, they may benefit from an iron supplementation. Blood cells to take time to build, and can take a month or two to show significant differences, so keep that in mind for Famancha. (this is also why fecals are important).

Deworming 6 weeks ago makes me think there is an issue however, wether it's management, stress, or dewormer is the question. How do you dose quest? any of the horse pastes should be fully expressed, mixed, then re-stuffed in a syringe for storage. It's a pain, but none of the horse dewormers are meant to be dosed out 1ml at a time... it's meant to be dosed in it's entirety. If it's not well mixed or if it settles over time, it may not be dosing it properly if you're using it straight from an unmixed tube, 1ml at a time for example.

Take a fecal and send it off or take it to your vet. If Quest (moxidectin) is not working well, that's good knowledge to have.

B complex never hurts. You can give it orally and have it be as helpful, IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
I was having a hard time with bottle jaw last year and because of that I posted a blog and the treatment I used. I have not had issues with bottle jaw this year at all.

Day 1: Dose with Quest horse paste it is 4 times stronger so you can use less, 1ml per 100 pounds also inject SQ (subq just under the skin) 1 ml of Vit B complex for the anemia this parasite causes.
Day 2 - 5 Continue with the B complex injections until the eyelid color returns to pink
Day 10 Dose again with Quest
Day 20 Dose again with Quest
Suggestion would be if one has it ...treat all. I did not have to use red cell or iron shots with using this treatment. Both can be harsh on the goats rumen, and in saying that one should always use probiotics as a top dress on feed if giving harsh meds or antibiotics

1 - 3 of 3 Posts