Bottle Jaw

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by PA Katahdins, Jun 11, 2009.

1. PA Katahdins

PA Katahdins Well-Known Member

When I was worming lambs last weekend I noticed 2 that seemed a little "swollen like" under the lower jaw like bottle jaw. It has been 5 days now since worming and even though it probably takes a while for the "swelling" to go down they haven't really seemed to lose any of the puffiness. I wormed them with 5ml of Ivomec, all lambs were in the 40-50lb range and Ivomec calls for 3ml/25lbs. Do you think I should give them time or should I try worming them with a different wormer? First year I have noticed any getting this bottle jaw.

Thanks

2. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

Peg,

A few years back, had a lamb with bad case of bottle jaw.
    Vet suggested using Ivomec a second time within a couple days along with vitamin B injections. Should see improvement within a couple days.

Might give that a try before using a different dewormer.

Deb

3. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

I'd go with 6 cc if they are between 40-50 pounds. And yes, I'd dose them again. I'd probably also have a fecal done to see if I'm dealing with worms and maybe also coccidia, which also causes anemia. Did you check the color of their lower, inner, eyelid?

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

3mls/25 pounds sounds like a drench. You're sure it didn't spit it out or drool it out?
    Personally I'd switch wormers, if I wasn't going to re-consult the vet for advice.

5. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I rarely get bottle jaw in my sheep and when I do it's usually in lambs and is attributable to either Barbers Pole or Liver Fluke. I use an oral drench that targets both of these parasites and the bottle jaw disappears within 3 days.

Find out what parasites are predominant in your area and then buy a drench that will target them. Ivomec is very good but isn't a broad sprectrum drench and, like all drenches, it has it's limitations.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

6. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

7. SoINgirl

SoINgirl Well-Known Member

Ivomec plus or cydectin is used in goats for the bottle jaw so you may want to use one of them.

8. cathleenc

cathleenc Well-Known Member Supporter

Our vet (who keeps sheep) had us use ivomec last year, 3 total doses, 1 dose every 10 days. Took at least 10 days for the swelling to really change. We also gave them a vit B shot to stimulate appetite.

Our fecals also showed that the lambs with bottle jaw also had coccidia. Treated with albion in the water.

gl!

9. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

10. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I use Safeguard drench or crumbles maybe the newer Ivomec + would work too.

11. PA Katahdins

Ok, thanks guys. Why isn't Prohibit availabel anymore? I used that last year but ended up buying Ivomec at TSC this spring at pretty muchly the last second.

12. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

Apparently it's manufactured in China , and there was an earthquake that damaged the factory.

Hopefully it will be back on the market soon.

It WORKS

13. plowjockey

plowjockey Well-Known Member

Just noticed my Katahdin ewe lamb has a lump under her neck, also. She has never been wormed and the yearlings have not be wormed since this time last year.

Might be time, unless it's something else.

14. PNP Katahdins

PNP Katahdins sheep & antenna farming Supporter

Could you be seeing milk neck AKA Katahdin double chin? There is an explanation on the Fias Co Farm website at http://tinyurl.com/mq2l7s

It's quite noticeable in hair sheep lambs but also occurs in wool lambs. It's a sign of a good-milking ewe but kind of alarming the first time you see it. Quite a few of ours get it and it gradually goes away as they get older.

Peg

15. plowjockey

plowjockey Well-Known Member

Good catch!

She looks pretty much, like the one in pic #3.

We are trying to stay away from medicines as much as possible. Some worm animals constantly and some do not worm at all. The happy medium is for us.

16. PA Katahdins

Thanks PNP, the lambs in those pictures look exactly like the lumps under my lambs chins. Same placement and everything, thank god, couldn't figure out how I could have that bad of a worm load with a 13 acre pasture with 26 ewes and 40 lambs and it only being the 3rd year of having sheep on it.