Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been hot and dry here till last month and now it is hot and wet. I had a couple kids and does with heavy worm loads so I wormed everybody with cydectin 3 days ago. I asked the vet about worms when I called about a doe that aborted and he said to err on the high side when worming. He said he couldn't recommend cydectin as it was an off label use in goats but ,the growers around here using it were beginning to see some resistance and had been having better luck dosing at about 1ml per 10 lbs.So I wormed everyone with cydectin.
Well this am when I went out to check the goats I noticed some of the kids had poop spots on them so I went looking for someone with diarrhea. I found two does with diarrhea and one of them had a severe case of bottle jaw. I had written down that I wormed her but I wormed 30 kids and 20 does so it is possible I missed one. I re-wormed her. I am wondering now if I am seeing cydectin resistant worms.Or since this is a bottle from last year if cydectin can loose its effectiveness..Any suggestions on another wormer to try if this doesn't work

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Bottle jaw is showing you anemia, and sure it can be caused by worms sucking blood, but the anemia and diarrhea last far longer than killing the worms do with worming. So stop worming. Unless you fecal sample you have no idea if you have Cydectin ressitance...although if you move mow to the much mroe expensive 1cc per 10 pounds, after several worming sessions you won't be able to go back. So not only is worming alot more expensive than fecal sampling, now it's double so with your growing herd and increase of drug amount.

But yes erroring on the side of giving more drug is fine because most underguess what their stock weighs.

There isn't anything to go bad or old in Cydectin, other than perhaps if it froze, so I wouldn't blame it on that. Worming her the second time also did no hurt her. If you had a large load of HC than yes you can see anemia and bottle jaw afterward, and you can also see diarrhea caused by the anemia and the loss of blood as the adult worms were evacuated.

You may want to think about copper on your farm...and if you end up loosing someone, send their liver ( a frozen piece) in for copper liver biopsy.

I know that learning to fecal sample isn't something everyone is going to do, but it is not hard, it gives you clear answers to what is going on in your farm...and better you can stop listening to what others say work and you know what works. I can't believe unless you have been using cydectin monthly for several seasons, had been pouring it on, that you are seeing any resistance to cydectin. Please take some fecal samples in before you make yourself resistant worms you never had to begin with. Vicki

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I don't worm monthly with cydectin.The lady I got my original goats from did and I have had them 2 years. I worm before breeding, after kidding, and then a couple of times during the year. Until this year I haven't had a problem.But the weather has been right for worms this year and I have more goats. I have been wanting to do my own fecals and have been procrastinating getting the equipment. I know how as I have done human parisitology. Well I guess she is double wormed then. Thanks Vicki. I won't move to the larger dose. Should I be giving her Red Cell. Her gums and eyelids are pink ,not real pink but not white either. I use copper sulfate in the water but have just started this year. It has helped with some of the rough coats and the one black goat I have is blacker.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay the doe is in her 3rd day of the bottle jaw,no sign of a reduction in the swelling, in fact it seems to be worse. She is still eating, but her anemia is terrible.Is there anything else I can do?? I am giving red cell three times a day. and B complex. In my white goats it is easy to tell if they are getting a bit anemic by looking at the tail area,or udder then catching them and looking at gums and eyes.This one got by me cause she is brown and her skin is black.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
You have to run a fecal to see if the worms are under control first. If you don't use something to kill or evacuate the adult worms (which can be identified by any vet with a fecal floatation by the eggs) just make sure and ask. Because if you still have a large amount of eggs per gram you need to worm with something that is working.

Alot of the pouron crowd in Texas is now having to use levamisole, most are having to use it as a cocktail with Panacur/Safeguard to even get to the 99% kill that those who always used Cydectin orally are getting.

If the fecal shows few worms, than it will just take her awhile to build her blood back up. Food, minerals, ask the vet about a pig iron injectable, I would also copper bolus her. Vicki

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Yes, Chris, you can do a fecal exam or take it to the vet to have it done, and see what you are dealing with. There may be no worms in her, but it could be something else. LOTS of stuff causes anemia. Or it could be that your wormer is ineffective. Without that knowledge, it is hard to say much else.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
LOL, Vicki...posted at the same time, too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts