Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird, Today I had planned to worm all the goats that hadn't had it done in a while. I went out there and noticed that the area behind the chin where the beard grows was swollen on one of my 5 month old alpine wethers. Soft, and at first I Thought it was his beard starting. I looked it up because I have heard of bottle jaw, but I read it's hard? Now I"m thinking he got stung or butted good. I'm gonna worm them all today, we'll see what happens. I'm also going to give that wether vitamin B shot to give him a boost, wether it is a sting, bottle jaw, etc.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Great description. I don't even need a picture to say bottle jaw. It is soft because bottle jaw is edema, a fluid buildup in the tissue.

Be sure you give a powerful enough dose of wormer to clean them out. Be careful not to under-dose. If in doubt, over-dose a bit.

The bottle jaw should resolve in around 7 days after worming.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will weigh him with our bathroom scale then, to make sure I don't go under. I can still lift him, though he's getting big. Should I use the 1cc per 33 lbs like normal? When do I reworm him?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I don't know what you are worming with. I use 1 cc per 22 pounds ivermectin. I re-dose somewhere close to 15 days later (when there's a weekend closest to 15 days).

That's my practice. Ask 10 people, you will get 8 answers (2 may agree). :p

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Duh, I forgot to tell you it's ivermectin, hehe. Silly me. I think I've always done 1cc per 33 lbs in the past, do you suggest I do 1cc per 22 lbs with this guy?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.