Bottle feeding......

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by luvrulz, May 20, 2005.

1. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

My Jacob lamb is really doing great and eating like a pig! Yesterday, I wrote down how much he ate - 58 ounces. He ate at 2 am Thursday morning and I finished off at 10 pm last night.

ISN'T THAT A HUGE AMOUNT? He was born on Sunday and we brought him home on Tuesday. While he was in his mom's care, she didn't feed him but a little bit so he might be making up for lost time! LOL

How much is normal? He eats dirt too when he's outside and kind of gives the grass lip service, but I really don't think he's eating any..... He can start eating a little sheep feed at 3 weeks too? I read that somewhere....

Any other things I can feed him besides milk replacer right now??

2. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

whoa! that is alot!

Just want him for upset tummy or scours. I put grain out and usually by 2-4 weeks they get interested. Now some of my lambs arent' interested as they are completly statisfied with their moms. They're about a month old now.

Then you want to be sure there is hay available for them to reach and also a low pan or bucket of water. Seems about the time they get interested in grain, they like the water to experiment with too.

3. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks! I've been watching for scours....and he has a runny one then a sort of solid bm and so I am giving him 16 ounces at a time today, but not as often as yesterday. He has water - he shares it with the border collie! :p

Is that a bad thing too?? Better that he gets to be friends with Bella??

Thanks for all the help!

:p

4. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

I never worried about sharing water personally. I work more at keeping the animals away from the dog's food. I had a couple of goats get into the dog bucket due to my daughter's placement of they dog food, and they got a bit of upset stomach but it didn't last long. Now everyone keeps the dog's food where the goats and sheep can't reach it!