Bottle feeding

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Maybe it's just that he's a pig, but my bottle baby buckling is getting 7+ oz per feeding and he's still hungry. This is a pygmy baby we're talking about. They are 2 weeks old now. The doeling, who is still small, only takes about 5 oz, 6 at most. People told me to halve the portion size from dairy goat size, and I got the proportion and schedule from fiasco farm's website... Is he getting enough? He is ALWAYS hungry, even right after feeding. the doeling usually stops on her own and doesn't keep looking constantly for another teat, like he does.

2. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

Is he eating (or are you offering) any hay, feed, grain, or browse? I would think that if he is still hungry, he'll eat some of those things. It would be better to encourage the other stuff, so he develops his ruman really well.

If he's not wanting hay or feed much, find a weed or grass he likes, and cut that for him after he's had his bottle.

3. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

You can overfeed milk to a kid and they can die from it. Give him what he needs and don't worry about what he wants. As long as he is growing good, don't worry. Kids sometimes don't know when to stop. Since the Mom is usually the one that regulates the amount and she isn't nursing him, you have to give him only what he needs. Also, you want him to eat other things as Faithful Heart mentioned. If you keep him loaded with milk, he'll take forever to wean and won't be as anxious to try hay and grain.

4. NYSaanen

NYSaanen Well-Known Member

You may also want to figure out what you feel should be "normal" for him at the size/age he is at. Prepare that much milk and place it in a bottle. In a second bottle, put in just water at the same temp. as the milk. Let him drink the milk, and if he is still looking for more, give him the water. This way you control the amount of milk, and supplementing with water won't hurt. I have seen some that will drink the same amount again in water, and other that take one taste of it and say "What's the big idea, trying to pass off this skim milk on me?"