Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. The method of bottle feeding gives the child nourishment only. Most parents do not even hold their newborns to feed them from a bottle. (look around if you don't believe me, do you see parents holding their babies or do you see the bottle propped up on something while the parent is elsewhere????) At what age do you think it is appropriate to take away the bottle?

·
Registered
713 Posts
I think some parents hold the BOTTLE...just not the BABY!! What I see all the time is a baby in a stroller/carrier while mommy holds the bottle off to one side and is chatting w/ a friend on the other!!!

I am interested in reading this thread at the end of the day to see how many people who disagree w/ nursing over a year or so, don't have the same problem w/ a bottle. I see kids 3-4 years old walking around w/ a bottle, but people freak out when you talk about nursing a kid that long!

Rachael

·
Registered
271 Posts
My baby went from breast to sippy cup at 6 months. I don't agree/disagree with anyone else's approach to feeding their child to each her own. This is just what I did. :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
I am raising my grandson who is 18 months old. His mother nursed him for 6 months, then went to formula. I got him at 7 months of age. I strongly believe in nursing whenever possible ( I nursed my 3 kiddos), but I have used his bottle feeding as a bonding time. At 18 months he wouldn't even try to hold his own bottle because we always do it for him, but he can put on his own shoes!
His pediatrician wants him off of the bottle pronto. I have gone past the recommended cut-off date due to him having a couple of ear infections and we used the bottle as an emotional crutch, and a way to get extra fluids.

I admit, I am going to miss "bottle time" more than he will. I don't want him to grow up!! But I will get him off ASAP for all of the right reasons.

Good question, Kimberly

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
For our bottle fed babies it happens around 12 months when they go to whole milk. I introduce the cuppy. For me, I worry about them having a bottle to sleep with. I think each child is different and every parent is different, so there should be a vary of answers to this question. :)
I hold my baby and his bottle, I mean my goodness.......they grow up wayyyyyyyy too fast not to savor the moment! :)
God Bless,
Michele

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
About a year. I can't understand people who don't hold their babies. Yeesh, I held mine ALLLLLL the time, I mean, I spoiled them rotten! :D (Not really....I don't think you CAN spoil a baby. ) I'm a big-time proponent of "attachment parenting" and still believe that lots of physical affectionate contact is good for a baby's and even and older child's health, physical development, and development of his/her brain! Even now when my kids are older I still give 'em lots of physical affection, rubbing and scratching their backs, tickling them, etc. DS9 still sits in my lap sometimes. OMG I am SO going to miss it! :Bawling:

But back to the bottle...yep, about a year, when the contents are milk instead of formula.

My son never HAD a bottle at all, though. :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
We were successful getting our boys to cups by age 1. Two weeks prior to their birthday, went cold turkey. Pacifier too! Much harder on Dad and Mom than the boys! Both had no problems.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I breast fed to 14 months, by which time I was being used as a pacifier. DD could hold and drink out of a cup. I used a bottle some of the time because of it's spillproof nature, but by this age, a child is eating regular food. At 18 months she was hospitalized and went back on the bottle for then and for a couple of months afterwards. The problem I see with moving from bottle to cup is the attention needed from the caretaker. With a bottle, a kid can wander around unsupervised, where as with a cup, they need to sit down and concentrate on what they are doing, which I feel is better for their development.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
IMHO, before you start, but hey, I'm a pro-breastfeeding, pro-baby-led weaning. Since I have no experience with bottles, I guess, when they emotionally don't need it anymore.

·
USMC can't fix stupid(s)
2,736 Posts
matt633 said:
I think some parents hold the BOTTLE...just not the BABY!! What I see all the time is a baby in a stroller/carrier while mommy holds the bottle off to one side and is chatting w/ a friend on the other!!!

I am interested in reading this thread at the end of the day to see how many people who disagree w/ nursing over a year or so, don't have the same problem w/ a bottle. I see kids 3-4 years old walking around w/ a bottle, but people freak out when you talk about nursing a kid that long!

Rachael
i hear you.
my kids were off the bottle after their 1st bday. cold turkey to a cup.
pacifiers went bye-bye when they started walking.
when they were on the bottle, i held them and it was our time while they ate.
my kids were never put down for a nap or bedtime with a bottle...
well..... #2 i did a couple of times with a bottle of water...
i still feel guilty about that!!

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I agree with the 1st birthday...I did not stick to that with the firstborn and she got cavities from taking the bottle to bed with her. I breastfed her for the first 8 months, but was working full time and pumped milk for the babysitter to use. I got pregnant again right after her first birthday, so it was formula that ruined her teeth. The second baby nursed for only 5 months but was off the bottle by her first birthday and has much better teeth.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Breastfeeding is #1 for me. Our army hospital has gone 100% breastfeeding for L&D. Only when a baby has oral defects or the mother wasn't able to correct flat nipples will they think about supplementing.

Personally I feel that if you HAVE to bottle feed. Hold your child up against your chest and start using a sippy cup around 6 months or so. I also feel that pacifiers are not necessary and actually harm babies. Formula can be discontinued at 12 months old if they are also eating a good amount of solids.

I go from breastmilk to vanilla enriched rice milk at about 12 months. They say it is the closest taste to breastmilk. My kids have all loved it.

·
Premium Member
23,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One little girl I used to babysit was given a bottle of kool-aid to take to bed with her before 3 months. (not at my house, I held her when I gave her the bottle and she NEVER got it when she went down for a nap) She ended up with a whole mouth full of cavities and had to have 4 teeth removed when she was 4. Can you imagine having to do oral surgery on a 4 yo!!!! Mom said, "funny, neither of the others had cavities. She must have really soft teeth." When the little girl didn't want to be held when she got her bottle, I took her off it. Mom still gave it to her at night until she was close to 2. "She won't go to sleep without it" was the excuse. She slept fine for me, even the few times I had her overnight.

I do feel that feeding time for babies should be a close special time. I just don't understand the parents I see today, let the baby sit in the shopping cart and cry, prop a newborns bottle so the parents can go off and do what they want without a screaming kid bugging them (yes, one mother actually said that), never holding the baby.

Parents, hold your baby now and for as long as you can. Not only will you have a well adjusted child, but you also can look back and remember the times you spent together with your child. All too soon the time will come when "baby" will be grown and move out and then, too late, you will realize how much you missed.

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Bottle only until the can drink from a cup- formula until 1 year old then whole cows milk if tolerate it. And ALWAYS hold baby while feeding until teaching it to eat and drink by itself- replace ALL aspects of breast when bottle feeding not just nutrients.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Remember all children are different. Some yes, you can take off at 1 year, some need it until their almost 2. Most of mine were breastfed but some for one reason or another were on the bottle by 5 to 8 months. Then somewhere from 14 months to 2 we saw how they were going to a cup and if they were really ready. One girl chewed the tips off the nipples so she went to cup then. One boy just had to have his bottle until he was almost 2. If one got really sick it was put off. Remember babies need that sucking and get the fluids they need, which is a pretty high amount. By the way we had 5 girls and 5 boys.

·
Premium Member
23,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There was a study I read in a magazine (I think American Parent or something similar) years ago that said the sucking action is essential for proper brain and facial muscle development in babies. Of course it was written with an anti-breastfeeding slant because I remember it saying breast babies should be weaned by age 12 while bottle babies should not be weaned before 18 months because the baby has to work harder to get milk from the breast.

My personal opinion is that like the breast, babies should get bottles as long as they need them. But it has always disturbed me that instead of holding and spending time with their babies, parents just let the little one wonder around with the bottle or they prop the bottle for a newborn in a playpen or infant seat.

But yes, I did wonder if there would be as much opposition to walking/talking bottle fed babies as there was to walking/talking breast-fed babies. Hmm, I guess not. Double standards.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
As a Jersey cow, I was a dead failure. Couldn't breastfeed at all, to my great sorrow - not a drop of milk. So bottles were the only option. I ALWAYS nursed my babies, as if I was breastfeeding them. I knew one baby who choked to death after mother put her down with the bottle resting on the pillow.

My babies were given cups at around 6 months for water or juice - none of those silly training cups, either, but a cup with a handle. It's surprising how quickly, and at how young an age, they learn to manage a cup. Around 12 months old, bottles vanished, and they had only cups. We had a rule they also learned very quickly. Sit down before being given the cup, and stay sitting until they've finished drinking what they want. As soon as they started to move around, the cup was removed, and only returned once they were sitting quietly again.

The frequency of the bottle was gradually reduced as time went by, so that by the time they were fully weaned, they were down to one a day.

My kids never missed their bottles. It seems that the habit can be deeply entrenched if you leave it much longer than about a year, and it can be hard to break it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts