bottle feeding piglets

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by mpillow, Feb 6, 2005.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

We are considering getting a couple pigs this Spring...for meat and to root out 3ft deep goat barn.

Using electric fencing is not an option for us. So my thought is if I get a couple of young piggies 1-2 weeks old and bottle feed (goats milk) will this possibly tame them enough to be just fenced or possibly walked like I do with the goats?

I know this probably sounds ridiculous but....what do you think? I have the time and help to bottle feed so that is not an issue..

2. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

The one to two week old piglets I've raised sip milk out of a pan. They do make messes and try standing in the pan, but they don't need to be bottle fed.

This will make them very tame and they will be easy to coax where you want them to go....but, in my opinion, if they want to get out of the fenced in area, they will no matter how tame they are.
    I would have a pen sturdy enough that they can not get out of. I use hog panels, they are the 16ft wire panels that have smaller holes along the bottom so that young piglets can't get through them. I have sturdy wooden posts every 4 ft. so the pigs can't pick up the fence.
    The hog panels run around $15 here.
    I hope you decide to try pigs, they are so much fun. Just remember if you are going to eat them, try not to get too attached to them. :)

3. cowgirlone

I forgot to say......I like to add scrambled eggs to the milk for the small ones. :)

4. Lolli Pop

Lolli Pop Member

I got my 5 at 6 weeks old. Spending lots of time with them daily. They love scratches and treats. They are extremely tame. I would not get them younger. I have a sow now with 3 week old pigglets, and I can see why people are tempted to wean them so young as they are very musclular and healthy. But fact is they get a little more muscular, a little more robust every single day. I would hate for them to be robbed of the time/lessons with their mom. It's a lot of fun to watch them learn to be pigs! Are babies are handled and very tame, they love attention! If I were you I would seek out someone in your area that raises pigs and truely loves pigs! There will be a big difference. I hate to think of my babies being sold in 3 weeks, but I know that whoever they go to, they'll be tame and want attention, and hopefully they enjoy them as much as I do! Lolli Pop

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I've raised many piglets from a couple of days of age. I either bottle or pan feed them depending on my schedule. They become very tame. The pigs I raise are smaller and they climb through the hog panel holes but they don't leave the property. In fact, they usually go to the house and wait for me :) Not the best situation but I live with it. I've had a couple of litters of piglets racing through the yard and it is pretty neat to watch :) When they get hungry, they know where dinner is.

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

HUH! we probably will get attached but just the same they are here to serve a purpose.

Our calf "Cowboy" was a good friend very giving of himself and now lives in the freezer, and he has just fallen to peices! :haha: It is fair to say that he has good taste.

My 3 yo will tell you that Cowboy drank milk, and lives in the freezer not in the pasture ANYMORE...nope nope...we eat him.

Every cow is is a cowboy to her....we showed her the baby pig photo and she said " Away to me pig"....she's been watching BABE.

I guess I'll just let the children gush all over the piggies like they do the goats and see what happens....but if the little buggers get in my garden we'll be having a pig roast ASAP.

I do have a pen made of Remesh dug into the ground that cowboy ws in but I'll have to do something about the big square holes near the ground. Our neighbor that we got the calf from used those hog panels as well and the Igloo type doghouses for his pigs.

7. cowgirlone

Mpillow, I've had good luck covering the bottom rows of a hog panel with chicken wire. I attach it to the panel using small hog rings. It might work for you. :)

I'll bet your kids will love having pigs, they are so much fun to watch. :D

8. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We just put galvanized barn siding along the bottom of our cattle panels we used to build our hog pen and the hogs don't seem to realize there is another side to their pen. They also can't escape when small or pull up the fence with their noses

We had 5 of them in there last year and not one escape. This year I'm going for six.

We buy piglets at 3 weeks because that is the age the confinement operation ships them to their customers. They are feed hi-protein feed so they grow fast.
    Already castrated, iron shots and tails docked.

Remember to have fun. Pigs love to play and "snort" at them when it's feeding time and they will alway come to you when you "snort" at them.