Bottle feeding & Kid Question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by hoovershounds, Jan 18, 2007.

1. hoovershounds

hoovershounds Well-Known Member

When my Nanna goat has her kids, I plan on letting them nurse for the first week and then pulling them for bottle babies and possiabley putting them up for sale around two to three weeks of age. I know everyone has slightly different methods but what is a good general feeding schedule. Also what kind of meds/vaccinations should they have at this age. I want to put together an instruction sheet for care just incase I sell to someone that is new to this & because I am also some what new to this
    Amy

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

amy if you are planning to sell them you might want to consider to pull them right at birth? you will have it much easier for the kids taking the bottle and also the dam not bonding to her babies.

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with Susanne about pulling them at birth. It will be less traumatic for both the doe and kids and the doe should adapt to being milked easier as well. When the babies are born, iodine their navels right away. If you live in a selenium deficient area, give them 1/2-3/4 cc of BoSe. They shouldn't need anything else until 3 weeks old when they get their CDT shots and are wormed with Valbazan. Re worm in 2 weeks and give a second CDT in 3 weeks.

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

A nursing baby is NOT easily persuaded to take a bottle. I'm with the others; if you want the babies on bottles, you need to do it at the start.
    mary

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup, I agree. It *can* be done after they have sucked on mom for a while...but it is a LOT harder on everyone.

6. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do this. It will horribly stressful for both the dam and the kid. Bottle feed it from birth. A doe who loses her kid at birth (even if you take it) will adjust quicker than if she has her baby with her for a week and then it disappears. The kid will have the hardest time of all... pulled away from mommy after a week?

7. hoovershounds

hoovershounds Well-Known Member

Well, from the sounds of it I gusse I am glad I asked ahead of time. The reason I wanted to leave them on for a week was to make sure that they got the full colostrum benifits from mom (being able to nurse as often as they wanted). So as far as the bottle schedule goes, how much & how often.
    Thanks