bottle feeding a jersey calf

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jacknleah, Jun 13, 2004.

1. jacknleah

jacknleah Guest

We just bout a week old Jersey bull today and the man we bout him from said he was givin him a pint and a half 3x a day. Im new at this so Im not sure how much he needs. Now I remember a a kid feeding the calves a full bottle 2qts. Therfore Im confused on how much they need someone please help. I would very much appreciate it. Another thing is Im afraid of giving him a belly ache how do you prevent when going to a higher amount? Thanx

2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

buy a quality milk replacer that contains milk proteins, not soy proteins and follow the directions. usually it calls for 2 quarts 2x a day.

mix your replacer throughouly. i put on beater in the hand mixer and stick that in the bottle to mix it. if you don't mix it well, some of the nutrient value will be lost.

jena

3. OD

OD Well-Known Member

You will be able to tell when he needs more..he'll still be looking for more when the bottle is empty. Just add a little more every day until he's taking a full bottle.
    I always feed mine 3 or 4 times a day, but it's not really necessary.

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Also be aware when you read directions that jerseys are smaller than most dairy calves, and may need less.

5. tingo

tingo Member

you ARE going to castrate jersey bull calf, right???? and, if doing well, thriving....now is a good time to cut or band. we band, usually - takes aboot two, three weeks for scrotum to ddrop off....is uncomfortable for calf for aboot an hour or so, but he quickly forgets...some, doesn't seem to bother at all! hows' the feeding going?

6. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

Like someone else said jersey's are smaller and do not require the same amount..

How much do you think he weighs?? This is how I figure how much they should get..

As for adding additional milk ...You will have to go gradually.. Lets say he is getting 1 1/2 pts.. give him 1 3/4 pts and do that for a couple of days if not scouring then add another 1/4 pts.... I know it sounds like a slow process but these calves are touchy.. DH always says that those calves can tlook at you fulln and their dead within an hour...

7. jacknleah

jacknleah Guest

I woke up this morning and feed him about 3q. 1q at a time and he seemed to still be hungry. but I do beleive he does have the scours so should I slow down the feeding?

8. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Yes, I would say that is too much. Just because he wants more doesn't mean he should have as much as he wants. You need to go slow. If the scours turns gray & smells really bad he'll need to be treated for it. But if it's just from too much milk, it will probably clear up on it's on.

9. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

Okay you gave him how much.?? He had 3 qts through out the day right not all in the morning... If you gave him a quart in the morning then the afternoon bottle should have been lowered to about 1 pt. and then 1 quart in the evening should have been fine.... Too much milk will give these guys scours really fast...any changes have to be made gradually over a couple of days...
    I am not saying to underfeed him just work your way up gradually...If he has access to water he will drink it if he thinks he needs something mine always do..
    We had a holstein that came in at about 60 lbs and he only got 1 qt twice a day for about 3 days and then added a half a pint to each feeding and left him on that for 3 days and then added another 1/2 pint and so on...Never scoured .....

I would cut yours back to what you were originally giving him when you got him and keep him there until the scours to away and then start off a little slower...

10. Will do, thank you very much for the valuable info. Im sure Ill have more questions later. So Ill gradually move him to a higher amount.

11. tingo

tingo Member

looks like you have rec'vd good advice from folks - esp shelby - can also dilute slightly to half, the milk replacer you are using - hydration being most important for any baby - esp when has scours, (diarrhea) - good luck.....(whut ARE ya gonna do with jersey bull calf ????? :) tingo

12. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I"m feeding my holstein veal calf 3&1/2 pints goat milk 3 times daily. I fill the rest of the bottle with water.

We started at 2 pints 3 times a day on Memorial Day and increased gradually. He is doing well. His poop is yucky yellow brown sticky stuff but not scours just what you get from a milk diet.....at least thats what my goats do when they are first born...

He does have a bucket of water but yet to drink any... he seems happy and gets all frisky when its feeding time!

We are not castrating, he will be in the freezer end of Sept. at 4 months old.

13. OD

OD Well-Known Member