Bottle-feeding 5 day old kid

Discussion in 'Goats' started by glenberryfarm, Mar 6, 2005.

1. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone,
    Yesterday I got 2 5 day old boer cross kids. They both had been dam raised till yesterday. I began bottlefeeding. One little guy took to it right a way-no problem. The other one is absolutely refusing to cooperate. This morning I tube fed him: I was afraid he was going down. We have tried numerous times today to no avail.
    Does any one have any tricks to getting him to accept his new mamma? I am using the pritchard nipple.
    Thanks
    Faye

2. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

I had a bottle fed baby once. She just wouldnt eat, then I realized that if I put a big ole hole at the end of the nipple (2-3mm) that she took right to it. She just wouldnt make the effort right away. Also, milk had to be just right, about 100 degrees F. Maybe you are doing all of that, but it helped my little one.

3. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

I use regular Baby Bottles and the nipples that come with them. I too cut a small slit in the nipple. I have noticed with the Bottle Baby I have right now, if the milk is to warm he will refuse it, but as soon as i add a little cold milk to cool it down, he sucks it right down.

What kind of milk are you using? Are you milking a Doe or did you buy a milk replacer or mixing it yourself. I use 1 gallon of whole milk, 1 can of Evaporated Milk and 1 cup of Buttermilk mixed together. Mine loves this. Maybe it is haveing a hard time with change in taste of the milk unless you are feeding its Mom's milk.

I think I would try getting a Regular Baby Bottle and try it. I could not hurt. You can get them at the Dollar Store for a buck. I buy the 3 pk Evenflo at Wal Mart for abut $2.67, I think. I ahve never used any other nipples, but have heard other people say some Bottle Babies just dont like the Prichard Nipples. Everyone is different and so are goats.
    Tina

4. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

Hi Faye,
    To help the little one's sucking reflex - - - sounds strange, but momma cats and goats lick or nudge the butts of the kittens or kids. What I would try is offering the bottle in one hand and scratch him at the spinal base of his tail, that should get his tail wagging like a flag. Another trick is to apply slight downward pressure on the top of his head (this simulates him being under mamma's udder).

Try either of these and I am sure once he catches on, he won't stop (lol).

5. glenberryfarm

I don't get it! I tried the baby bottle too. He just holds it in his mouth, lets the milk run out and he fights it. I am using lamb milk replacer at body temp. I'm pushing his head, scratching his butt. I feel like I am playing Twister! :haha:
    How long should I let him go?
    Faye

6. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

I had a little girl like that. I had to let her go for 24 hours (keeping watch that she really didn't get very weak) until she got very hungry. I like the prichard teats very much. I cut all of that little pointy tip of the nipple off with a pair of scissors and it leaves a nice sized hole in the nipple. I can drip milk out of it in the baby's mouth. I find that the baby usually sucks like crazy, once it gets a taste of that milky nipple. I've had 2 kids who wouldn't suck no matter what, and I lost them. They always semed fairly weak though, and there may have been more going on than just not wanting to suck.

7. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I remember using honey to get the goat to suckle. Put it on my finger first, then on the nipple once I knew it was sucking the honey off.

8. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

I used regular baby bottle nipples and cut an X in them and I found if I make a sucking sound , sucking through my teeth, they start right up, it seems to inspire them. Try it , and if it works for you , you only have to do it for a couple days

9. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

When we have trouble getting a kid to suck, I bring in the Border collie dog and she licks their face and butts and they often respond to her like she is their mom and it helps get them going.

10. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We just got a bummer lamb 2 wks ago. He finally took to a regular baby bottle with a small nipple. Heat the milk so it is pretty hot. The pritchards were too hard. We started him on our goat and then switched.

11. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

the milk should be about 100 degrees, or 101. their body temp is higher than ours. 101 to 103 is normal for thegoats.
    I would put a bit if mollasses on the end of the nipple, or stickl you finger in his mouth, if he sucks it, he wil twke a bottle. just tuck it up umder your arm sort of then put the nipple in, and remember, those little guys reach up for the nipple, andthey butt it, so butt his little mouth with the bottle very carefully, not to hard, and it will get the picture. be careful tube feeding, if it gets in his lungs, he can drown. I usually just keep working with the nipple, and it takes a while, sometimes a couple of hours, and have to keep heating up the milk.
    but they will take it sooner or latter, if he doesn't at all. put the warm milk in a pan, and dip his mouth in it, he might just drink it up. you never know.
    good luck, and keep us posted.

12. MimmyJ

MimmyJ Member

Well, I don't want to be a wet blanket, but some kids that have been nursing their dam that long befor you try to make the switch to a bottle just won't take it, no matter what. I had a little buck a couple years ago that I would have lost if I hadn't had a milking doe to graft him onto. He would have starved himself to death befor taking the bottle :mad:

try the milk in the pan if he won't nurse, it's worth a shot and a heck of a lot easier than tubing him :)

13. shorty'smom

That's right, sometimes they will NOT take that bottle if they have been with mom so long. Sometimes they will, if they're hungry enough, but sometimes they won't.

If you still have the mom and she's in milk, put the kid back. You'll just have to change your plan or loose the kid. If you haven't got mom, you may have to restrain another doe and try to get him to suck her (you'll have to keep that doe from beating that kid off, and she'lll probaly have to be hobbled. I've done this when forced to do it for lackof other options.

My little doggy loved to lick the kids for me and keep them stimulated. My big dog will do it too, but little doggy was such a good "mommy" she even adpoted the kittens when the queen decided it was time to wean and ran from them all day. She licked them and kept them groomed. Good little doggy.

14. shorty'smom

My vet says to tube a goat make sure you stay to the left side of their throat and try to smell the end of the tube. If it's in the stomach it will smell like stomach contents. Of course, in kids it will smell like old milk, but in newborns....... I got a lavage tube from him but really don't want to do it unless I'm sure the kid is going down. If you put milk in the lung, even a little bit, it's almost inevitible that the kid will die. Take the kids temp. If it is below normal, things are looking bad. I bring them in by the fire and fill a pop bottle up with hot water and wrap a big old towel around kid and bottle. They will settle down to it and get warm. If you have twins put the bottle between them, a warm towel underneath and another over the top for a blanket. Sometimes when they are warmed up and cozy they remember to be hungry. And then it helps to stimulate them with a rough towel. Remember the doe licks them and nudges them. Even with little or sometimes preemie, lethargic human babies, we have to pat their feet, give them a little baby massage, and basically wake them up every 3 hours and make them eat to help them gain those ounces to get healthier and get to go home.

15. glenberryfarm

This little guy is just a mystery to me. He bounces around and prances like he is feeling just fine. But he shuts down when you try to feed him. I have tried all of the suggestions. This morning, he half-heartedly attempted to nurse. But he hardly got anything. Now we are back to him letting it run out of his mouth. He will suck on fingers though. :no: I cut the tip off of the pritchard. I will try the pan. I do not have access to a surrogate mother. Although I do have some ewes due soon.
    Faye

16. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

how often are you trying to feed him, and what kind is he? I would probably let him get hungry. and then try the prichard nipple again. or the pan , but let him get good and hungry first. I think he will take it. Since he did half take it this morning. how much did he take?

17. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

I found that if I added about teaspoon of molasses to the milk they well go after that bottle like a little wildman. Try that and see how your little addition likes it.
    Good luck

18. glenberryfarm

I put honey on the nipple. He greedily licked it off-no sucking. I put molasses in the milk. He liked that too. I got an ounce or two in him this morning by him letting it trickle down his throat. He hadn't eaten for over 12 hours so I was hoping that he would be nice and hungry. He watches the other kid go to town on the bottle :confused: I tried the pan. He showed a lot of interest especially because the molasses was in there. But no go.
    UGGHH!

19. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

He sucks your finger but not the bottle? I had a litter of stray puppies like that; mom must've gotten "held up" somewhere (showed up 4 days later). Most took a small animal nurser-bottle just fine, but that darn runt was so particular. I agree with trying different nipples on human bottles. That pup held out until I brought home an extra-soft, extra "lifelike" newborn nipple.

Also, I agree with tickling at the base of the tail- above the hips. My friends had twins bottle feeding, and two of us would sit on the milk stand, each with a bottle. When the kids would come up to us, we allowed them to "rear up" on our knees and nurse side by side. You could almost see them eyeballing eachother like it was a race! When we'd tickle their hips, they'd wag their tails and suck faster...

You could try some Pavlov's conditioning with him.... When he sucks your finger, tickle him. Do it as many times a day as possible. Then, (supposedly), when you have the bottle AND you tickle him, it will remind him to suck.

Keep us posted! -Jill

20. shorty'smom

That's good news. If he half took it today, let him get hungry and then give it to him again. If he's bouncing around, he sounds like he's feeling ok. Just keep an eye onhim, and when you think he's had enough time to get really hungry (maybe even 6 or 7 hours) then drip the milk on your finger and let him suck it off. You can then either lead his mouth down to a pan of milk with your milky fingers to see if he'll drink it, or let him suck the milky finger and then switch the milky finger for a milky prichard and see if he doesn't decide that this red thing is about food.