Bottle calf not very active

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Razorback21, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Razorback21

Razorback21 Well-Known Member

We have a three week old holstein bull calf in an outdoor 8x8 calf hutch (we are in Southern Illinois) and it is feeding fine, drinking water, no runny stools, but has a runny nose and wants to sleep all the time. We know the calf is ill, but are not sure what it is. Breathing seemed fine last night when I looked at him, but this morning when I checked, he seemed to be laboring just a bit in his breathing. Is it pneumonia or something else? We have raised feeders up until now, but I do remember growing up that when you see a young calf ill, you must act soon. Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated!

Razorback21

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Is it pneumonia; Sure sounds like it is heading that way.

Get medicine in him quickly. Ask a vet what to use, penicillin etc.

Someone else many have a better deal.

3. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

I would give him a good dose of LA200 and probably 3 Sulfa if he is 100 lbs. Hit him hard and give him 2 more sulfa tomorrow afternoon and see how he is doing if no improvement by tomorrow evening I would get something from the vet.....Also a shot of vitamin b would help him too

4. jwcinpk

jwcinpk Well-Known Member

Exactly what above poster said. Make sure he gets up every chance you have. Pat him on the side too to keep the stuff broken loose. Scratch him behind the ears and talk to him. You'll be surprised how far love and attention will go. Make sure you monitor the situation and if he does not get better soon you'll have to go to another antibiotic.

5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

The only thing I would add is to watch him for dehydration. Grab a handful of skin on his neck and pinch it together. If it takes several seconds for it to flatten out again, he's getting dehydrated. Make sure he has all the water he wants. If he quits drinking or gets real dehydrated anyways, you might want to tube some electrolytes into him.

Jena