BoSE shots

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Tell me about BoSE... Dosage, when it's given, if I can give it with feed/minerals supplying selenium... and all that good stuff. I looked at a chart and I guess our area is deficient... Yay.

2. Caprice Acres

3. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

4. plain vision

plain vision Well-Known Member

My Goat,

Thought i would mention that not all areas are selenium deficient. So you might be fine with where you are at in not giving it. Suzy posted a pretty helpful link. I was going to add we gave about 1/2 cc of Bo-Se to kids and if we had a group that were still down on their pasterns we would give it to them about 3 times in a year. I have heard of some giving 1cc to kids. I would be a little cautious in that unless you know you have the deficiency. Mu-Se dose is about 1/4th the Bo-Se dose. There is an internet site called www.saanendoah.com that will have the selenium deficiency map on it for the nation.

hope that helps,

sonja
    www.aopv.com

5. Caprice Acres

Well, we're in lower MI, and for the nationwide selenium map (couldn't find it on the saanendoah site, but I do know where to find it on the hoegger site) it says I'm in a 'very low' area. I'll probably use gel selenium& vitamin E.

6. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

I've posted elsewhere that in our area (Calif) some breeders are really upping the amount of Bo-se they're giving. In addition, a breeder in WA that I bought my BOER buck from gave me her schedule of:

1/4-1/2 cc at birth
    weight appropriate dose at 3 months (weaning)
    weight appropriate at 10 months to does prior to breeding
    weight appropriate dose 4-6 weeks prior to kidding
    weight appropriate dose 2 days post kidding, then back to the cycle of dosing at breeding, etc.
    This seems like a lot of BOSE but she said it's improved her stock-health. I am trying it for the next year to see.

7. Caprice Acres

Hmm, another thing I"m wondering is how to pronounce it? do I ask for BOSE (bows) or B-O-S-E? LOL

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I know...its a good question isn't it??LOL! Its pronounced Bow-see, actually. :)

9. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you buy BoSe over the counter or is it a vet only item? I haven't seen it in the catalogs (not that I was looking for it specifically). If you feed a goat feed with selenium in it, do you still need to use the BoSe?

10. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

BoSe script only, as far as I am aware. I would seriously question whether selenium levels in feed or even giving the gel would be enough to address a legitimate deficiency.