Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you inject your BoSe on your goats? The friend who has the sheep gave me some for my goats, but she says they have to be injected on the inside of the back leg. If that's true, why?

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Maybe because she has wool sheep so finding a muscle not covered by thick wool this time of year means shots on the inside leg muscle?

I do give my bo-se IM but I know others who do it subq. So it's more about what you are comfortable with. I don't do alot of subq shots, I have more problems with lumps, or shaving down for spring and she has had an shot site abscess with all the long hair I never noticed it to treat her so it didn't scar.....so I do it IM. Vicki

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Vicki. I never thought about that, but I didn't think it would matter "where" on a Boer goat you gave the shot. I do give them both ways. I can do IM or subqu. I too prefer the IM, just because it seems easier, although it depends on the animal. On some of my dogs, it has been easier, in the past, to do subqu but my goaties are easier to hold and give to them IM. I normally give the C&D/T subqu in the neck though.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not worried about these goats being for show. They're pets, and meat goats, but not show goats, so the place only matters to me as a matter of comfort for my goaties and easy of giving the shot. I gave them in the outside of the right hind leg.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
One thing to mention just in case you are raising for meat is any injection will leave tissue damage and its not desired when butchered.

You can get selienum and vitamine E suppliment for horses, Im currently experimenting with it and it seems to do good on my voluntairy test subjects and its a feed through

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
One thing to mention just in case you are raising for meat is any injection will leave tissue damage and its not desired when butchered.

The tissue damage is miniscule according to our processor. Also I would assume it would be healed up by the time they get dispatched after the withdraw time.??

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts

The tissue damage is miniscule according to our processor. Also I would assume it would be healed up by the time they get dispatched after the withdraw time.??

This is what the man that buys my meat goats told me and his customers wont buy it for what ever reason. Didnt seem like it would make that much difference but aparently it does to the person eating it.

·
mostly LaManchas
1,004 Posts
would you buy a steak with a wierd spot that you didn't know what it was?
You may know it is from the BoSe, but the person looking at the steak as dinner might have other thoughts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts