BoSe dosage in WI

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Lazy Daze Farm, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Lazy Daze Farm

Lazy Daze Farm Active Member

Anyone know what the dosage rate for BoSe is in WI? I have a bunch of does due in February. My vet said she usually only gives BoSe injections to young kids. She gave me a bottle, but no instructions on dosage. She said it is probably the same as dosage for sheep/lamb. True?

All the vets around here do their best to answer any of my questions, but they all self-admittingly are not very familiar with goat care. I did find one vet in the area who knows more than the others, and she's anxious to learn even more about goat care since there seems to be a growing interest in the area. However, she pretty much told me, "Hey- we'll learn together!" Although I really appreciate her enthusiasum, it is still nice to be able to post questions here to get answers from people who KNOW the answer, rather than guess it. ;) Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Lazy Daze Farm

Oh crap. Didn't mean to post this twice. Sorry! :eek:

3. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

per Vicki so this is what I use also it is

4. Lazy Daze Farm

So the dosage is the same regardless of location (TX verus WI)? I thought I read somewhere that it varies. Maybe I'm thinking of something else :rolleyes:

BTW, I did look this up in past forums, but most of them I read about says use label dosage. There is no label dosage for goats. So sorry if I'm asking a question that's been asked a million times already. Just wanna be sure my girls are getting the right amount so no harm is done :)

5. Sondra Peterson

Yep I was the one that said at least twice on here that I use lable doseage but I was WRONG that is not what I do at all. I had always before used Saanendoah.com to go look up what I was to use but the site doesn't have it up anymore, tho if I hadn't have been lazy I would have gone to my other cpu where I have it all stored. Duh. Vicki is right it is 1cc for 40lb Goats require more than sheep. and it doesn't matter where you live except parts of Idaho I think. Here is the newest Map.
    http://tin.er.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/se/usa.html

6. Lazy Daze Farm

7. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I found that map very interesting but..... at what level do you need to supliment. I mean.. What is a good level. My county is very dark on the map. Does that mean I need to give bo-se or not? We are at .44 so the map said.

8. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

The reason I am concerned is that I have been giving alfalfa pellets to my goats to up the calcium in their diets and have now been told by a lady that raises champion goats here that they will get too much calcium if I do that. That may be because we live in an area that has much limestone here. I do know that it is full of calcium. The grass and brush growing on the soil over the limestone bluffs may contain plenty of calcium here. I don't want to overdose them with anything they don't need.
    But I sure want to be sure they have enough.

9. Sondra Peterson

Corky for one thing call your county extension agents and ask them abt your selenium levels and the calcium but consider this do you have lots and lots of land for the goats to browse on??? if not then how are they getting that calcium from supplemental foods. Check your calcium to phosphous ratios which includes all your feed, hay, alfalfa pellets etc. that has a lot to do with how you feed. As for the selenium you are not going to get enough selenium from feeding your goats that is why we supplement with BoSe another question to ask yourself is where does your food sorce come from do you know that the next county or state over where that grain grew was low or high in content of any minerals?? Today most of our land has been almost wiped clean or contaminated with fertilizers, weed killers, over production of one type planting and not rotating crops Therefore we have to supplement minerials of all types and not rely on hay and grain totally unless you are buying organicly grown items then the soil is most likely been drained of most nutrients.