Border Leicesters FOR SALE

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Slev, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

I posted this in the Breed of the Month and Barder Boards, but thought it wouldn't hurt to cross post here as well:

Looks like a good crop of BL's this spring! We will have several ram lambs to choose from. All reg. with the ABLA, (or if you prefer w/o for less $$) We also have a few very special ram lambs from "Big Momma" the wonder ewe, see previous posts:<Big Momma> parts 1 & 2. Those should be some GREAT genetics..! So far, all of the ram lambs are black except for 1 pure BL and 1 BL/Cormo cross. I can send pics just PM me. We also may sell some of this years fleeces, not sure what my wife wants to enter to show.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

What are BL fleeces worth?

3. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

You have BL/Cormo cross??? Wow, I thought I would have been the ONLY person in the world to have had that cross! Long gone now, but my very first sheep were Cormo, and then DD#1 had BL for her 4-H and FFA projects. The crossbred fleece was to die for, I kept canvas covers on the sheep back in those days, and had fleeces from that cross sell raw straight off their backs for $6.00 a lb, average!

Wish I was in the market for more livestock, I miss the BL flock and yours sound like good genetics to add in. Do you keep up with ABLA doings? Most of DD's flock was from Mist'O'Morn Farm in Canby, OR, and one wild but wonderful ewe from the infamous Silver Creek Lambscapes. That ewe was DD's first 4-H ewe lamb when she joined at 10 years old, and it died 2 months before her final FFA fair season when she was 21. Unfortunately, (depending on how you look at it) my younger daughter's flock is all Oxfords, so it's just get 'em born, feed 'em up and off to market for us these days.

Susan

4. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, we only have the one ewe that's a Cormo/BL. My wife is a sucker for nice fleeces, and this ewe was for sale @ the Greencastle Sheep & Wool Fair in Indiana last year, WITH HER TRIPLETS! So we were looking at getting a return on her from the quality wool AND off-spring. She's the one I was talking about having "Monster Lambs" My God, they were born HUGE! bigger than our 2 week old twins pictured side-by-side. Black male/white female- with a tiny birthmark next to her butt. (Makes her look like she has poop stuck to it) When she was born, I kept trying to catch her to check it out)

But, other than Big Momma and her lamb Lucky #7 from last year, the rest of our breeding flock is Reg. Border Leicester.

Ross- I'd have to check to make sure what she's selling it at. I know she gave a deal last year to the High School Art Teacher because the lady wanted to buy enough for her class to spin in the grease. Look on e-bay, I seen some on there yesterday and was suprised! Most of our wool, she has made up into roving either natural, or dyed. or sells it raw. (I like those sales best..!)

It seems felting is becoming a bigger hobby these days, and lots of people like felting with BL or BL blended with something else. I like Romney too, but not shearing the head or feet.

I recognize the one name you mentioned, but I have not stayed up on all of the goings on with the ABLA lately. I need too, I really hate the thought of showing, but looks like I might have to look into it, in the near future. I'd much rather show cows. You just walk in a figure 8 pattern and you're done!