Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been looking around for some times and decided that I will make some soap and fuzzy ball for my Wife Christmas present.

But I am looking for a source of Borax and have no clue of were to find some.

Where do you get yours ?

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
as others said, borax is in the laundry detergent area. 20 mule team is what I use.

I only use it for my laundry pre-wash soap - not in body soap as it can be an irritant.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Why are you wanting the borax? I use only a small amount in my Liquid soap as an emulsifier...like .04 oz weighed to every ounce of water I add to my paste at dilution.

I've seen recipes for bath bombs (fizzies) that have borax in them...but you really don't need it...and I wouldn't put it in them personally....
My basic recipe -
2 cups baking soda
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup citric acid

combine dry ingredients in a bowl,
In a cup measure combine:
5 TB liquid oils (I like sunflower, rice bran, sweet almond...etc.)
2 TB water
1 - 1.5 TB fragrance oil (less for essential oils - .5 - 1 TB - add the extra as water.
drops of liquid color (I use lab or labomb colors)

Add the liquids to the powder and stir like crazy (the goal is no fizzing, but it may just a bit - just keep stirring like mad!)

mold into balls using ornaments (for big ones) or a meatballer (for little ones) get them filled good and tight, tap on counter all around and then release. Let dry on paper.

This is not as easy as it sounds, as a matter of fact it took me months (and I gave up for awhile!!!) to finally make them without cracking or not being hard enough, or falling apart. After I finally got it right I made bath bombs for days just to ingrain the look and feel in my head. Now I rarely have a problem, dry or humid, doesn't matter. It varies for everyone with climate, etc. You want the mixture to feel like damp sand....one thing though is if they don't work out you can just make fizzy bath powder and put it in a bag! (you can just do that anyway with this recipe - just omit the water, you can even use a bit less oil if you like!)

Good luck!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen recipes for bath bombs (fizzies) that have borax in them...but you really don't need it...and I wouldn't put it in them personally....
I have to admit that I was a little bit surprised by the borax in the recipe that I found

My basic recipe -
2 cups baking soda
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup citric acid

combine dry ingredients in a bowl,
In a cup measure combine:
5 TB liquid oils (I like sunflower, rice bran, sweet almond...etc.)
2 TB water
1 - 1.5 TB fragrance oil (less for essential oils - .5 - 1 TB - add the extra as water.
drops of liquid color (I use lab or labomb colors)
It is looking like an other recipe I found.

TB is for table spoon isnt it ?

Add the liquids to the powder and stir like crazy (the goal is no fizzing, but it may just a bit - just keep stirring like mad!)

mold into balls using ornaments (for big ones) or a meatballer (for little ones) get them filled good and tight, tap on counter all around and then release. Let dry on paper.

This is not as easy as it sounds, as a matter of fact it took me months (and I gave up for awhile!!!) to finally make them without cracking or not being hard enough, or falling apart. After I finally got it right I made bath bombs for days just to ingrain the look and feel in my head. Now I rarely have a problem, dry or humid, doesn't matter. It varies for everyone with climate, etc. You want the mixture to feel like damp sand....one thing though is if they don't work out you can just make fizzy bath powder and put it in a bag! (you can just do that anyway with this recipe - just omit the water, you can even use a bit less oil if you like!)

Good luck!
So if it did not work I can still put the powder in a plastic bag and offers that it will be fizzy in the water ?

Thanks for your message.

Xavier

1 - 8 of 8 Posts