Borax in dishwasher!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by designer, Oct 2, 2004.

1. designer

designer Well-Known Member

I normally use gel detergent in the dishwasher but some powder was on sale and I got that. Well my DS, 15, has to do the dishes and he grabbed the box of borax instead of the dish detergent. The worse part is I didn't figure it out until the third time he did it. The first time there was allot of powder in the dispensor after the cycle but I thought it was just because it was cheap. The dishes didn't get very clean. He broke up the leftover powder to reuse in the second load the following week. Then this week I told him to empty all the leftover out and start with fresh. Thats when I saw him take out the borax and start pouring it in. Well we cleaned it out and put the right stuff in but it came out the same. Powder left in and dishes that are not real clean. Is the washer ruined? There is no filter in this model that you can clean so I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

2. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

I would try running it a couple of times with no soap and no dishes, just water to see if it "flushes" out.

3. Grandma's Cabin

Grandma's Cabin Well-Known Member

Some people use half baking soda and half borax in place of dishwasher soap all the time... so I doubt it's ruined. Usually if one does that it helps to put vinegar in the rinse cycle to take away the "powder" coating dishes can get, so you might try running a cycle or two with some vinegar.

4. Cindy in Nebraska

Cindy in Nebraska Well-Known Member

We had to replace our dishwasher because I was using a gel dishwasher soap. The repair man said those gel soaps were so hard on the machines. They told me to use Cascade Complete. I haven't had any problems so far. Cindy

5. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

We try to use a liquid or gel detergent because it is easier on the septic system and drain lines. The powders never completely dissolve and will build up. I have had to clear my drain lines from time to time and find a buildup of material that looks like hardened drywall mud. This is powdered detergent that has gotten caught up in fitting joints and eventually grows into a larger obstruction. I hadn't heard that they were hard on the machine itself.