BOOTS - Steel Toes?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JV, Nov 22, 2004.

1. JV

JV Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I am looking to invest in a pair of high quality work boots that should last a long time. These will be used for some outdoor construction jobs, chainsawing, as well as just about anything where I would like some more protection. So what are your opinions about steel toed boots? Are they actually more uncomfortable than the conventional? What about the safety boots without the steel toes, are they just as safe? What about brands, any one's you would recomend or not recomend? Any and all comments are gratefully received.

2. ex mek

ex mek Member

steel toes are HEAVY and hot they are no fun in Texas

3. Dances In Woods

Dances In Woods Well-Known Member

Hi Jv,

I wear steel-toe boots in my plant job. I like IronAge, pretty much don't look like steel toes, they looked like hiking boots. They are kinda expensive so this year I invested in the Brahma brand at walmart. Both were comfortable, they are both heavier than the normal boot.

Always get a 1/2 size bigger shoe than you usually wear, some will go 1 larger size. It gives your feet more room from the steel part.

IronAge boots I bought were $80-90, the Brahma ones at walmart I think were $25. I even wear mine when I'm working with my horses, cause you never know when a hoof might land on my tootsies.

good luck!

4. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

I wear steel toes on a daily bases. required by the job, but still wear them at home on my own jobs. Never noticed them being any hotter or heavyer than other work boots. I do feel they are a lot safer when doing any job that could cut or crush your toes.

5. bare

bare Head Muderator

If you're really worried about your tootsies, go barefoot. It's amazing how careful you are with a chainsaw or bowling ball when you KNOW that there is a price to pay for carelessness.

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............Good work boots are characterized by Two words...."Red Wing" . Go to their website and peruse the various sizes and styles and types of soles , leather , and work protection(s) . I , happen to like the Style #2283 . Insulated , electrocution proof , nonskid soles , steel toe . I , ordered a pair of these from a store in Ft.Worth , Tx . Cost me 230 + 8.25 sales tax , but they will probably last me atleast 10 years and when broken in will feel like a pair of good shoes ...fordy... :)

7. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I've not heard of the steel toe/heat connection. I have heard that steel toed boots are colder in winter since the toe protector gets cold and radiates it to the foot inside.

I second the Redwing boot idea. They are practically wear proof.

8. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

You can look at many varieties here www.bootbay.com it also has a search so you can just search what you want ie 6"brown steel toe etc. I got mine from here, first time I've ever had steel toe and they are as light as a feather, as a femeale I thought they would be heavy, but they are great. Look for the discontinued or specials, mine were reduced from 90 to about 50

Carol K

9. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

The last time I was required to wear safety shoes, steel toes were not acceptable. That was in California, and Cal-OSHA has strict requirements.

The reason steel toes were not acceptable was that if a heavy object fell on the toe it could rock back, possibly amputating one or more toes. The alternative was a fiberglass 'safety toe' that was designed to fail under heavy stress. The idea was that it was easier for a doctor to deal with crushed toes than amputated toes.

10. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Make absolutely sure that your steel-toe boots fit properly. After the first time, you'll never wear an ill-fitting pair....trust me! This is why so many people recommend Red Wing boots....they are professionals and have sizes to fit all feet. They will make sure that the boot you buy fits properly.

11. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Wharever brand you get, make sure they can be resoled. I just use old hiking boots for landscaping and around my place - 10 years and 3 soles later the leather is showing some weak spots but I should get at least another year out of them.

I wear Raichle brand. I've got funky shaped feet in a weird size and these are the only ones that fit.

12. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

I wear steel toes all year long. Make sure there is enough room in the toe box for your toes to flex. Otherwise it will make you foot sore.

I agree that you need to be able to re-sole them. Wolverine made a good boot too... I'd rather have cold toes than lose them to a chainsaw. Wear a rubber overboot to help keep your feet warm in winter. Keeps them drier too...

You get used to what you need to....

13. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I have a pair of leather boots with a steel toe and steel over the top of the foot. There's a word for that but I can't think of it. Bigger would have been better to accomodate my bulkier socks, but since they were $10 new on clearance, I just wear my thinner wool socks. They are heavier but make me feel much safer when weedwhacking, etc. I have not found them hot, but then I don't live in Texas.

14. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

My husband is required to wear steel toed boots, and he prefers Red Wings. He wears the tennis shoe style b/c he says they are much more comfortable, and they still pass his employers requirements. he went thru SEVERAL brands, including Wolverines, before finding ones that didnt hurt his feet, even using inserts didn't help. It really depends on what is comfortable on your feet. He bought the Red Wings that were sewn, not glued. His Red Wing boots that were glued had to be re soled several times and we had to pay each time. Outside of his hunting boots/Mickies these are the only shoes he wears. HTH

15. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

Yes, I used those at one time, but I can't remember what they are called either. They were leather covered steel plates that covered the lace part of the boot.

When I was in college I had a summer job welding in a factory. The steel foot covers weren't required by the factory for safety, but I used them because without the steel covers I kept getting welding berries in my boots and burning my laces completely through. A less expensive alternative was leather laces, but I liked keeping the hot berries out of my boots!

16. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

I've never worn anything but steel toed boots my entire adult life.

17. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

DH wears steel toes. He came in from an afternoon of harvesting firewood and noticed a cut through the leather and sole tip of his boot. He did not realize he had touched the boot with saw until then.Without that steel toe, he'd be minus a few toes.

18. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

Before DH retired he had to have steel toed boots for work. He got cowboy steel toes boots. Once he thought he would change to another style. He bought roper style steel toed ones. He never did really care for them and they didn't last as long as the cowboy style.

19. margo

margo Well-Known Member

I think the word you're looking for is "metatarsal". Comes up and over the top of the foot.
    If possible, try several different brands, as they are all different, and so are people's feet. I had good comfort with Wolverine, poor results with Iron Age. But that was me. Wolverines seemed the best for working on concrete floors what with the fatigue in the calves it caused.
    If you are concerned about the boots being uncomfortably hot, you could punch breather holes at the instep for some ventilation. The last time I wore safety boots, I could not punch the holes because I worked in coal and the dust would work its way into the boot. I do still use them here at home mostly because they're indestructible and offer ankle support as well as protection using the mower and weed cutter. And boy, can you stomp away at the multiflora rose with 'em. :cool: ........Margo

20. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

I wore a pair of La Crosse Iceman boots every day for two years and they are still in great shape. They were water proof and were rated for -80 degrees but I never noticed them being hot in the summer. They were down right comfortable once I got them broke in but they were the largest heaviest boots I have ever owned. First year felt like I was rolling around on tank treads. Once I got used to lugging them around though I can say they were the best boots I have ever owned. When you wear them you feel like you can solve all the world problems with a good swift heavy kick.

I now wear another pair of La Crosse called an Adirondack Pac boot. It is just as good but a whole heck of a lot lighter. 1 year and they are not showing any signs of wear. I wish this company would make mud tires!