Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, one of my little newborns from last night, almost did not make it. Mom was not feeding him, but was feeding little sister. Sooo, we brought him in, milked her and fed him. He was terrifically weak. I was surprised how quickly that happened.

Anyway, he's been on a towel in front of a heater in my office, and has had his second bottle of fresh warm mama's milk. Now he is up, talking, and bumping everything in site, trying to get more! LOLOL

I'm not going to feed him anymore for a few hours, but then I have more milk for him courtesy of mama. Tomorrow after it warms up, wind chill is to be -35 tonight, I will give him a couple of bottles of mama's milk and then take him out, put her milk on him and let her clean him up and see if she will take him. Since he has figured out what that thing is for, and how to bump it and has strength to bump it with, he might just make it.

We actually are going to take him back out tonight for a trial run, but he is coming back inside tonight. I know everyone says not to do it, and if we end up with a bottle baby, I'll milk her to get the milk and feed him, so be it!

But hopefully, the little guy is going to survive. He is peeing and pooping per normal and is, like I say, walking around and talking and acting like a normal 1 day old goat! WOOHOO!

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took him back out to mama and after a few false starts, he grabbed on, started drinking and just caused tears to come to my eyes! He did so well, I left him out there with his mother. We will go back and check him in a couple of hours and if he is warm enough, in their little straw hut, he will spend the night with mama instead of me! I am just so pleased about this! He's so cute. Can't wait to get pictures posted of him!

Well, 2 down and 6 mamas to go!

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
I've done it successfully. I had a Boer doe-sicle one year (Miracle), mom was a first timer and plopped her out on a snow pile and walked away. I found her and thought she was dead but moaned faintly when I picked her up. Got her in the house, warmed her up, tubed her milk as she refused a bottle. I kept bringing her back to the barn to her mom (on the stand) and tried getting her to nurse, she wanted to but would weakly suck 3 or 4 times and give up. I tube fed her for 3 or 4 days and she wasn't doing well, diarrhea turned to blood-tinged water, I just knew she was going to die. Then one morning she kept rooting at my chin but still no bottle. Took her to the barn and mom greeted her happily, she started nursing strong and that was that! I was shocked that mom took her back. Last year I grafted an orphan onto that mama doe so maybe it's just her personality.
Unfortunately I sold Miracle last summer and 2 months later she got Listeriosis so they put her down. :Bawling:

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Yeah for Boots! I'm so glad it worked out and you were able to keep him going...good job!! :)

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I seem to remember you posting about Miracle last year or was that someone else. Anyway sorry to hear about that. She was something else!

I went out and checked this morning and the babies are doing just fine. I'm surprised as cold as it got last night. We went down to a wind chill of -35 and it is still very cold this morning. I'm thrilled they survived it and I believe that last night was probably the worst of the cold nights for the year. I think now it will start moderating a bit. We have about 2 more nights of really cold coming up, but I am just going to believe it will be warmer now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts