Boom sprayer regulator problems

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by FarmboyBill, Jul 4, 2006.

1. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Bought this sprayer at a sale. Getting it up to snuff yesterday and today. Paid around $125 for hoses, hose clamps, and a 200lb guage. Put water in it today, and not much happened. Its got 4 ports out the back. 3 go to the left right, and center booms, the bottom is capped off. Looking at it, on the L side is a pressure regulator valve, on the R side is the inlet port. I can get water out the L side, and the capped port in the back, but not out of the 3 ports going to the booms. Any idees?? Thanks

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Have you pulled off the spray tips to see if they are causing an air lock?

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

4. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

It looks the same as the one i got AM2, i think mines a TeeJet, but yours looks identical also. I saw the TJ somone sent me on yt forums

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

OK, Do you have a return to tank line feeding back to the spray tank? It needs one if you have not installed same. If you have a return to tank line and with water only in the spray tank remove the discharge line and verify by pumping that you have water exiting with the 3 booms turned off. No water at this point and you have a either a bad pump or a blockage in the lines either to the pump or in the control valve. Removing the inlet line to the valve will isolate that potential problem. If you have lots of water at the discharge line at the control valve reinstall the line and take one boom hose off at a time and attempt to pump again. You should get water from each line. If not there is a problem in the control valve. If you get lots of water at each boom hose then the problem is most likely in the spray tips. There should be a fine screen filter behind each tip. These are prone to clog. Verify they are OK at each tip. You should now be pumping water out each spray tip and the pressure at the discharge of the pump should be in the 30+ range. If you are not getting a spray the control valve is letting the water bypass and return to the tank via the discharge of the control valve. Just do each step one at a time and you will determine the fault. PS.. you are aware that the handle not only rotates to select which boom but levers in and out to cut on and off?