Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9 boxes of books in storage, a 10 ft wall of books to the ceiling in the house to be sorted and gotten rid of.

Some will go to friends, others to the local college and library. Most to the thrift store.

It's like getting rid of old friends. :(

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
I feel your pain, I had to pare down too when I moved...
It is nice to think that others will enjoy them though.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
I too, recently got rid of a bunch of books. Mine went to the library in a small town near me for their used book sale. The sale started Thursday and hopefully what I donated will make them a small bit of money. Yes, I did buy more! LOL Bot nearly as many as I gave them (and a lot of the ones I donated back came from their book sales in previous years!)

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Maybe two years ago, I started re-reading my entire collection. I had saved a fair number of light-weight paperbacks, reference books, craft books, whole sets of things like Brother Cadfael, Sister Frevisse, older historical-novel series. Each book I finish, I think, "Will you really want to read this again?" and then, "Will you need your own copy to do that easily?" SLOWLY working the collection down.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Oh, yes, books!!!

I have always been a book accumulator, then I started on Ebay and really accumulated.

My husband has built bookcases in every house we have ever owned and a couple we were just renting.

I had to just make myself do something so I, gave a lot to a thrift store, and a lot, lot to our local library. In two years, we donated 9,000 books. Also, I took my daughter several boxes that were her books. I'm trying to keep my books down to what fits into my bookcase and I have to purge it often.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Same here. I've been buying books for decades. Some of the paperbacks were bought when they were .45 cents for new ones. Classic sci-fi, thrillers, military fiction, you name it and I've got it. Hardbacks too, by the hundreds.

I need to get rid of all of them. I can't see anymore to read a book, my reading is done online where I can make the print big.

It is hard to let go of a lifetime of books. You want whoever gets them to treasure them the way you did.

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
I buy books I feel certain I am going to want to keep/re-read whether they are fiction books ... which to me are like a visit with old friends when I re-read ... or non-fiction, in which case I know I will need to refer to them again. I do have books that I first read many years ago, including the first book I remember receiving as a gift as a child ... "Crazy Quilt, the Circus Pony" written and illustrated by horseman Paul Brown.

That said, I do have a limited amount of space for bookshelves so have really enjoyed the *convenient storage* with my Kindle. At this point, my fiction books all go to Kindle ... the art and horse reference books are the only ones I still buy in actual book form.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts