Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I first want to thank you all for the wonderful information you have shared. It has been a huge help to me as I am learning gardening.

I was wondering what gardening books you would recommend for a newer gardener. This is my third year and am getting there with lots more to learn :)

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I like the older (Not Oldest) version of Rodale's Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening. It's fairly comprehensive and useful information.
If you are in a low zone like me (zone 3 or less) get the book 'Cold Climate Gardening'

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
The Vegetable Gardener's Bible by Edward C. Smith. My favorite gardening book. It covers everything from choosing a location to soil testing to seed starting, cultivation, harvesting, pests and diseases, mulching, everything! Lots of illustrations and photos. Very easy to understand.

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Barbara Damrosch The Garden Primer. Has something on every topic but unlike many general gardening books her vegetable and fruit chapters are quite comprehensive. Now I am in the SOuth again I can tell she is north of me but still helpful.

Rosalind Creasy Edible Landscaping. Great ideas and a plant guide. She is in Calif and lists all edibles including some I grow in pots as ornamentals only.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts