Book suggestions?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by SweetSarah, Jan 4, 2007.

1. SweetSarah

SweetSarah Well-Known Member

My husband is looking for a good book on basic child psychology. Any suggestions?

2. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

Anything by Dobson. "A strongwilled child" and several others. Written by a christain.

3. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Go to any bookstore...find the psychology section - read a bit of a selection until he finds one that he likes :)

Never let any book take preference over knowing your own child.

Marlene

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Any book by Piaget. Don't Shoot the Dog, by Karen Pryor. It's about living with dogs, but the basic operant conditioning style works on anyone. Also, a textbook on Early Childhood Development. It's been too long since I took those classes, so I don't know what is on the market.

5. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

I think it would help if I knew the specific purpose why your husband wanted the book. Is he interested in educational theory, modifying specific behaviors etc etc,

I found this series of books by Louise Bates Ames helpful in understanding some of what my children might have been going through. There's basically one book for each year for younger children. One thing I picked up in reading a few is that children usually alternate back and forth a bit as they age. From moody to friendly, bold to timid etc (or at least the author tells you so to keep you buying the books ha ha)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/s..._2&results-process=default?tag2=amd-google-20