Book stores, sources and favorite suppliers!

Discussion in 'Book Reviews' started by Tracy Rimmer, Nov 25, 2006.

1. rickfrosty

rickfrosty RF in Western Mtns.of ME Supporter

N.W. corner of ME by both NH, & Quebec border.

I 2nd this, was going to mention this place. Go to www.HamiltonBook.com but you have to pay more to use a credit card.
    If you get their catologue(s) and order by mail & a check that is what they like.
    I recently ordered a whole raft of books & they all came fairly soon. Prices made my frugal heart warm.
    Was pleased w/this place. Now to stay off THIS place long enough to read books again ?!?

alfadoa likes this.
  2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

I've always used www.bookfinder.com to search and compare prices on new and used books. It automatically searches Alibris, Amazon, Half, Biblio, ABEBooks, eBay, Powells and others domestic and foreign and lists the prices from least costly to most expensive. They claim to search over 150 million books. Note they do not sell books but simply act as a dedicated book search engine that covers most booksellers.

It's especially good for figuring the value of a book. For example a lot of times you can buy books much cheaper than those sold on eBay.

3. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

I happen to have a few first edition copies of "Holy Hell" in paperback by Michael Armond. If anyone is interested I will be glad to put you onto one for my cost... $4.95 plus whatever the post office charges for mailing it to you, which shouldnt be more than a buck or two. . It's a fairly short but interesting read dealing with some abstract religious concepts. It would be of interest to those who like to "think outside the box" when it comes to theology. This book would be considered rare, as to the best of my knowledge, there were only about 1000 of them printed for a limited audience. They are in "mint" condition, and may possibly have some "collectable" value. I will be keeping my personal autographed copy, so don't even ask for that one. :) I am pretty sure you all know how the pm thingy works.

4. Tegerian

Tegerian Teg

The site below is an excellent resource to keep track of your favorite Fiction authors and to figure out the order of the odd series that gets you confuddled.

Fantastic Fiction

This next site has a lot of book reviews for Fiction, both new and old, they hit on a good selection of genres and their reviews tell you what you need to know. Is the book worth reading, no big corporate nice, nice words.

Elitist Book Reviews

I hope that everyone finds them useful.

5. featherbottoms

featherbottoms Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been meaning to post this on here for a long time and the post about the Fantastic Fiction site reminded me (btw, that IS a great site for finding series authors).

I have a friend that reads a lot of Cozy Mysteries and she got me to reading them sometimes. I don't know what the true definition of a Cozy is but when I want to read a Cozy I look for these things:

1) usually does not have any bad language
    2) usually does not have any blatant sexual content or language
    3) usually does not have any real violence
    4) usually is set in a small town
    5) usually involves one or more female sleuths
    6) sometimes has a theme, like the Gardening or Herb themed, or the Knitting themed ones out there.

This site, Cozy-Mystery.Com has links to a lot of different authors and their series. I've used it many times to find the rest of an authors series.

These are the kind of books you wouldn't mind reading to your young child or your tween/teen reading.

featherbottoms

6. Tegerian

Tegerian Teg

Patrick McManus has a series of mystery books that meet the cozy model, really good reads for the most part.

7. I_don't_know

I_don't_know Well-Known Member

I have an old Girl Scout Cookbook, 1971 copyright. Any ideas as to how I can find out the value of the book?

8. Tyler520

Tyler520 Well-Known Member

I would consider Abebooks.com to be the best out there - you can filter by everything from price, to condition, to print#

They deal with everything from the cheapest paperbacks that sell for literally pennies, to rare books that go for thousands.

I have found so many hard-to-find books on there that I wouldn't be able to find anywhere else, or would have to pay significantly more for.

They also do free shipping deals regularly throughout the year.

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member

Suggest your use the link www.erhbc.com to the Hamilton website, which has excellent organization.
    Current shipping charge is $3.50 for all the books you can order.
    Be careful if you are a real book junkie!

10. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member Supporter

bookbub.com has free books, I use them

11. greenTgoats

greenTgoats Well-Known Member

I usually use Amazon.

12. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member