Book stores, sources and favorite suppliers!

Discussion in 'Book Reviews' started by Tracy Rimmer, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

A member made a great suggestion, to have a sticky where we could post sources for books.

So, I'll start with the basics:

www.amazon.com

www.amazon.ca (for us Canucks)

www.chapters.ca

Feel free to post any links or suggestions here. If you find an obscure source, all the better. Share where you get your books!

Tracy

TJN66 and kens like this.
  2. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

My favorite now is Paperback Swap. The name is misleading, you can swap hardcovers also. You list 9 books when you join, and they automatically will give you 3 free credits. You can use them right away to order three books. Every time you send a book to someone (you pay for the shipping), you will get a credit for a book. You can also list a wish list of books you want, and when they are listed in the system, when you are at the top of the list, you will get it. I have a huge list! I haven't received one book yet that I was disappointed in. You can relist them when you are finished or keep them. It's up to you. I have received 54 books so far and have only mailed out 38. It's so much fun. I have 4 coming this week!

katlupe

3. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

half.com .

If I'm searching for a particular title, I'll go between here and Amazon to find the best price.

4. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

ALibris.com

Dover books. Lots of reprints of antique books on crafts,houses,tools,old ways

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

6. Librum

Librum Well-Known Member

Sticking two cents in here, hoping nobody minds.

We have quite a few books in ebook format, online.

http://www.librum.us

Enjoy!

7. danb98577

danb98577 Well-Known Member

Might try Edward Hamilton-still sends out a bi-monthly(I think) sales flyer and has a web site-shipping is not bad and as quite a few are remainder titles, the prices are LOW. Well worth your time.

8. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Abebooks. It's great to work with and has lots of new, used and rare books.. Queen Bee

9. Turkeyfether

Turkeyfether Well-Known Member

www.Half.com is a great website to buy books at great prices. It's run by Ebay, but not an auction.Prices are listed at the discretion of the seller who mails via media mail but also a handling charge for packaging.I've gotten books for .75 and up.$1.25 is my usual. Depends on what I'm getting. Condition of the books is categorized & you can check seller & buyer feedback.I don't think it takes Paypal yet. :angel:

10. NativeGurl

NativeGurl Well-Known Member

This is a second hand bookstore here where i love but they also ship too. It is a great spot to spend a sunday afternoon(many of my sunday's where spent there....) They have everything. It is the Owl'sNest BookStore for those of you around the Fredericton, NB area..........

http://www.owlsnest-bookstore.com/

11. ilovetodig

ilovetodig Well-Known Member

I have bought several used books from alibris.com. They have a great selection and you can choose the condition and/or price that most suits you. They just list books from dealers all over. I also buy used books from Amazon.

GOD IS SO GOOD!!!

12. Frank_P

Frank_P Renaissance Man

I get A LOT of my books from the for sale section at my local library... 7 hard backs for $5...paperbacks for 10 cents or 15 for a buck!

Usually half.com for something specific.

13. ROSEMAMA

ROSEMAMA Well-Known Member

14. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

15. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Usually you can find books in thrift stores, but it's rarely anything good. Amazon used books is great for providing the rare out of print stuff I like. I also hit bookstores when I travel. I'm like a little old lady who can't pass by an antique shop. When I'm working away from the farm, I often take two pairs of pants and 5 paperbacks. Often my bag comes home heavier than when I left, the extra weight being books I picked up along the way.

I have a theory about books. Like the Chinese say, "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear", you may pass by a book for years before picking it up to read it. But when you do pick it up, you will suddenly find that it has something poignant and relevant to say about your current situation.

Darren likes this.
  16. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

i buy boxes of books at auctions

i once got a whole long bed truck load for 7 bucks

i imagine if you need it I have it lol

17. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

www.frugalreader.com is a great place to swap books. I like the library sales too. ours has a three day sale in feb, fri and sat books are $1 hard backs and 50 cents paperback but on sun evening they get rid of whats left by selling anything you can put in a bag for $1 I can usually get nearly 100 books for less than $5 and since hardly anyone reads the stuff I do, I usually have a pretty good selection LOL

18. ELOCN

ELOCN Well-Known Member

I'm a devout user of the public library. My branch often doesn't have the book I'm looking for -- so I take advantage of a program they have to get books from other counties within my state. It's free! A lot of librarians don't want to be bothered by these special requests, so they don't speak up and recommend this. Now that we have the computer, I can put in my own request for these out-of-county books. A few months ago I heard about a really good book that was published in the 1950s and my branch didn't have it, and no other counties in my state had it. The librarian offered to get it for me from another state. I read it and it was great! ("Love on a Branch Line" by Hadfield). There was no charge!

19. sage_morgan

sage_morgan Well-Known Member

Roughly where IA, NE and SD come together, on the
    It's called inter-library loan. It's the coolest. Even if they charge you a dollar, it's still worth it to borrow an expensive book for a dollar and see if you like it or not.