Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but here it goes anyway. Every year, in the Fall, I read "Farmer Boy" by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Yes, yes, very odd that a grown man reads a kid book every year but I love the lifestyle described, the work that Almanzo does with his dad, etc. Can anybody recommend any other books similar to this one? I have several others that detail what ordinary life was like during this period in history, but they are strictly factual and lack the personal perspective that "Farmer Boy" presents.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cache Lake Country by Rowlands is one you might enjoy. Later time period, but still got that homesteading spark.

Diary of an American Boy by Eric Sloane is another good one. It's actually a real diary of a colonial boy.

I remember reading a book called A Light in the Forest in middle school. That one was good to, though not, I think, based on an actual person's experience.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Farmer Boy was my favorite growing up on the farm. Then I caught the trapline bug and started reading alot of Jim Kjelgard. His Forest Patrol was a favorite. Also Wild Trek and Lionhound. One you can get at B&N is "The Education of Little Tree" by Forrest Carter. A great book on life and how to treat nature and your fellow man.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,192 Posts
Gene Stratton Porter wrote a series of books that I like to read and reread.

My favorite is Freckles. It's about a young man with one arm that goes to work in a timber swamp and overcomes his fears.

Girl of the Limberlost is about a girl with an abusive mother who grows up in the same area.

http://our.tentativetimes.net/porter/limberbk.html

·
Registered
311 Posts
That's not odd. Here are 2 of my favorites, both are non-fiction & similar to "Farmer Boy". "The Happiest of Men" by E.E. Fearon. About farm life in Essex England, pre- WWII. "Don't Call Me Ma" by Samuel Churchill. His life as a small boy growing up in lumber camps near Astoria, Oregon. Early 1900's

·
Premium Member
26,565 Posts
Don't forget "My Side of the Mountain" and "Frightful's Mountain" both by Jean George, both about a boy who takes a sabatical from his overcrowded home and lives on his own in the woods.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I want to read this, too. The only book I have read by Laura Ingalls Wilder is "Little House in the Big Woods." I read it three or four times when I was a child and I loved it.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I think "The Yearling" would also be a good choice (author escapes me at the moment).

I also liked reading Swiss Family Robinson for much the same reason.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,192 Posts
There's also "Hatchet" by Gary Paulsen. I know his daughter. :)

The story is about a young boy who survives a plane crash in Alaska and lives for about a year in the wilderness.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
What? No one has as of yet mentioned the mostly autobiographical books by Ralph Moody. Little Britches, Man of the Family, Home Ranch, The Fields of Home, Mary Emma and Company, Shaking the Nickel Bush, The High Divide, and Horse of a Different Color.

Little Britches is the lead book starting off as the family moves from back east to Colorado for the fathers health betterment. They rent farm land and the adventures start.
The last book I listed is with Ralph grown up and as a man living in extreme NW Kansas.

The books have very good life value messages in them, valuable horse training tips, etc. I reread the series every couple of years.

·
Bitter Clinger
4,787 Posts
look into the other books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I loved them as a child because of all the detail she put in them about how they lived back then. How pa built their house, farmed and harvested, butchered the hog, how ma did her house work, etc. I found it all facinating.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Don't forget "My Side of the Mountain" and "Frightful's Mountain" both by Jean George, both about a boy who takes a sabatical from his overcrowded home and lives on his own in the woods.
Love these two books...may favorate when I was a teen.

Another good one is Hayseed Summer. I don't remember author, but it is a book about a city boy who spends the summer on a farm in Vermont in the 1920s. Very good book.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Rascal and The Wolfling by Sterling North

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
Definately a second, for Rascal by Sterling North. Read that book to my class every year...Oh and Old Yeller by Gipson or Gibson

·
Premium Member
20,629 Posts
What? No one has as of yet mentioned the mostly autobiographical books by Ralph Moody. Little Britches, Man of the Family, Home Ranch, The Fields of Home, Mary Emma and Company, Shaking the Nickel Bush, The High Divide, and Horse of a Different Color.

Little Britches is the lead book starting off as the family moves from back east to Colorado for the fathers health betterment. They rent farm land and the adventures start.
The last book I listed is with Ralph grown up and as a man living in extreme NW Kansas.

The books have very good life value messages in them, valuable horse training tips, etc. I reread the series every couple of years.
I completely forgot about Little Britches! My 5th grade teacher read that book aloud to us and I loved it. I need to get another copy and re-read it now...then I'll get the others.
Another good book about a boy coming of age and his daily life is, "A Day No Pigs Would Die" by Robert Newton Peck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts