Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone recommend a good, comprehensive book on raising cattle? I would like for it to have things like common diseases, vaccinations, feeding etc.
Thanks...

·
Registered
143 Posts
spinnDrSandy said:
Could anyone recommend a good, comprehensive book on raising cattle? I would like for it to have things like common diseases, vaccinations, feeding etc.
Thanks...
Are you talking beef or dairy? If it is beef you are interested, I have the Storey's Guide and it is pretty tough to beat. I don't know that any one book is going to be truly comprehensive, but the Storey's guide is close. All the information is well organized and concisely presented. I have read my copy several times. I grew up around beef cattle and just started raising some of my own again. This book has been invaluable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stush said:
Are you talking beef or dairy? If it is beef you are interested, I have the Storey's Guide and it is pretty tough to beat. I don't know that any one book is going to be truly comprehensive, but the Storey's guide is close. All the information is well organized and concisely presented. I have read my copy several times. I grew up around beef cattle and just started raising some of my own again. This book has been invaluable.
No, these are Jerseys. We are new to the bovine business and have just purchased a 2 week old bull and a 3 week old heifer. I need something as a reference so that I won't call the vet everytime one of them sneezes!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts