Book on Herb - Garden and Feed

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by JAS, Jun 3, 2005.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I was looking into getting a book about herbs. I am starting an edible, perennial garden and thought I should have a reference. I would also like a book that goes into planting herbs for livestock, mostly for goats. I was trying to search for one on my own but there are so many. Thought I would try here for recommendations. Thanks.

2. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Take a trip to your local library and browse through books there. Borrow the likely ones to check out thoroughly, and you'll have some idea of what you might like to buy later. If you have a second-hand book shop nearby, you'll often pick up some bargains.

3. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

This is my eBay link to 3 auctions I won for 4 books. http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ikemorestuff&completed=1&all=0&rows=25&sort=3

The first book is VERY GOOD for some short general information on variety of gardening topics. Talks little bit, very little of goats but most garden books don't and has "some" info on forage plants, quality of various manures, etc. It does have an extensive herb section, 12 pages, with cross reference to the individual ones thruought the book. Worth it for herb section and fact that it's an organic book. I would recommend.

The second auction was for 2 books. The Garden Encyclopedia is EXCELLENT choice as things are listed alphabetically with good discussions and herb sections as well as individual plants listed. The other book of this auction, America's Garden Book, I would consider POOR for my needs and probably yours. It just doesnt have things listed alphabetically, easily accessible, more like reading a novel about gardening.

The third auction is the one I recommend as well, Taylor's Encyclopedia of Gardening. It would be an EXCELLENT choice for gardening. I have had this book for decades, but lost it 2 years ago in our move to MS so I just replaced it. I am so happy :) I have been so lost without this book and now that I found it agian online and the others boy do I have major gardening to do!

It was very cheap to get these books thru auction, book rate is cheap shipping, and good to get more than one for cross referencing. So there are 3 books I would recommend regarding herbs. Don't know much about goats just yet though, still working on that fence for them so don't have any just yet. Good luck.