Book: Natural Goat Care

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Freeholder, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Okay, I found this book, Natural Goat Care, by an Australian lady named Pat Coleby, at the library and have just finished reading it. Anybody else read it and care to comment? I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has followed her recommendations.

Kathleen

2. trickham

trickham Well-Known Member

I have read it, although it has been a little while. I thought was a pretty good book. We have been giving the mineral mix to the goats and to the cattle (she also wrote a similar book on cattle), and with a little modification they have been doing pretty well on it.

Nick

3. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

please share some of her insight and yours, my goats freerange and I haven't had to use chemical dewormer for almost a year now. I use probiotics alot.

What sounds good to you about her ideas and what sounds odd?

4. Freeholder

I'm bumping this in case anyone else has anything to add!

The other thing I'd like to know is where to get the things the author recommends, such as dolomite, copper sulphate, and so on. Sulphur I can probably find, and I know where to get kelp meal.

Kathleen

5. trickham

We have been getting our supplies from an organic supply company in Ft. Worth, TX, with the exception of the copper sulfate, which I get at TSC.

As far as a more detailed critique of the book, I am still trying to find where I put it :eek: so I can remind myself on some of the details.

Nick

6. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

I don't have the book (have been going to order it) but have read excerpts on the internet and belong to a couple of lists (holistic) which use Pat Colby's ideas alot. I use alot of them myself.
    I do believe if you are going to go all natural or organic with worming you have to be prepared to have your Vet do regurlar fecal checks or learn how to do them yourself especially here in Texas as worms can kill!! I myself keep on top of it so as not to have problems.
    Trickham (Nick) please share your organic supply co. here in Ft Worth with me.

7. trickham

It used to be called Marshal Grain. They changed the name, and I'm not sure what they changed to, but I can find out.

Nick

8. Sondra Peterson

Oh ok Thanks! I know it well. Thought it was still Marshall Grain
    I get most of my organic stuff right here in Azle at Russle Feeds right now.
    Costs me more but only 6blks away.

9. trickham

My uncle told me they changed their name, but they're website is still the same. Maybe it was just the wholesale end? I don't know. :rolleyes:

Nick

10. Sondra Peterson

You know now that I think abt it, the last time I called them I think they answered with a different name and I had to ask if I had the right place.
    Where do you live? Im just north of FT Worth

11. Sondra Peterson

12. trickham

I live about 3 hours SW in the Brownwood area.

Nick

13. Freeholder

Sondra, what are the holistic lists you belong to? Are they goat lists?

Kathleen

14. Sondra Peterson

Not necessarily stricly goats but many goat people on these lists
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Holistic-Goats/
    and
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7mFarm-Herbal/

Now all this being said I want to restate that I use many herbal and holistic methods however I will not let a goat or animal die if chemical wormers or antibiotics are required. I also at this time use inoculations against certain deseases as preventive measures, however am really doing some research of my own on this. For instance supposedly some vets are advising against the use of rabies vacinations because of possibility of causing cancer. I have not yet found the accual research on this tho.

15. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link to the book excerps. I am impressed with it. My goats freerange and have assorted salt blocks and I offer kelp and some other things from time to time. I can see this book would be helpful to me.