Bone bruise?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by moopups, Jan 17, 2007.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Does such exist? About 15 days back I took a fall off the front steps, a twisting motion caused me to hit the steps mainly with my right leg, near the bottom of the pants pocket area. There is still pain there, no visible bruise, can the bone have an internal bruise?

2. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

I would think so.

My sister was on a chair at a concert and fell, hit her leg the same place as you. It wasn't until at least 5 days later a massive bruise showed up on her leg.

In the mean time, you can rub olive oil (or vege oil) on the spot where you hit your leg. It makes bruises disappear and not show up at all. It also relieves the pain..it works for me when I whack my arms on stuff.

I hope you get better!

Kat

3. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Yes, I still can tell the weather from internal brusing of the knees in 1970....
    (caught between bumpers of two cars and pinned.) There has never been an external blue/black/greenish yellow - but can really do a number on the bones.

Angie

4. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Whoa, falls are scary. My DD hit her leg like that and bruised the bone. It took a while for the bruise to show up, I think about 4-5 days, and it hurt her for months. The doctor said it would be slow healing. That was about 2 years ago and she says it still hurts if she presses that area. I hope you fell better soon.

5. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

yes, bone bruises are possible and they HURT and they hang around for a while.

6. hunter gatherer

hunter gatherer Well-Known Member

Last summer my husband took a spill from his mountain bike ( don't get me started! ). No broken bones, but after three weeks of healing, the pain was such that both he and the doctor were convinced that he had torn the cartilage in his knee; something that he has done 4 times previous

( I know! I know! Why, with this history, is this man even on a mountain bike?! Don't get me started!)

An MRI showed that he suffered not from torn cartilage but a deep bone bruise. It still hurts him at times.

Surely, you know about Arnica ointment. make sure you are using that daily on the affected area.

7. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Bone bruise might never show up, or might be a sign that there is actually a break or a small chip fracture of the bone. Might develop a lump in the bone later on as the blood collected right under the outer layer of the bone calcifies- on the shin or head one sees these as lumps for a few years after such an injury. That leg bone doesn't break easy though. I had a sore bottom after landing wrong in jump school (actually for 2 years afterwards and then again for a year or so every time I sit in hard chairs too many days in a row) and a bruise came out on the side of my thigh after about 5 days- took a long time to appear through all those muscle and fat layers!

8. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

you can also do homeopathic arnica...that might work better than the ointment in this case. It makes an amazing difference in internal soreness.

9. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Um. You might want to see a doctor. That happened to me. There was a noticeable amount of pain at the time of the accident, the area itself was sore, and there was a bump. I thought I should go to the doctor but DH said "no, just a bruise, going to the doctor would be too expensive".

So I didn't go. I kept milking the goats and doing all the same old stuff (mostly with my left hand). A month later it was still sore and the bump was still there. A year later the bump was still there. I happened to go to a doctor who functions as a G.P. here but specializes in bones, for another issue. While I was there, I asked him to have a look at the arm. He informed me that not only had it been broken, a chip of it had broken off and lodged elsewhere, and the arm had healed up crooked.

Pain tolerance is a funny thing, and some people don't notice it much when they get hurt. A friend of mine writes about this more on his website.

10. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    About 40 or so days back I took a fall, off the front steps; did a twisting motion, hit my upper right leg on the metal. There is dull pain, its traveling toward my right knee.

My mind is racing toward bone cancer or Ostyo-mylitus. I has Ostyo-mylitus many years ago due to stepping on a rusty nail, had my left big toe socket removed from such. Still got the toe.

Is it a possibility that such has returned? The VA doctors said such would never go away completely, I am a life time carrier. Its a dull pain, but a constant pain. Any info you can add is very welcomed.

11. oldgaredneck

oldgaredneck Well-Known Member

Moopups - I'm not fond of VA docs either, but with your history I would have it looked at ASAP. Better safe than sorry, Bro!