Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
This is very clever if you pay attention.

Not too long ago the government tried to go to war with Assad, claiming he had chemical weapons and was using them on his people. The case for war evaporated when Russia said they would step in and protect their ally, and then convinced Assad to demonstrate to the world that he had destroyed his chemical weapons arsenal. So Putin looked like the peacemaker against the evil warmongering Americans.

Then we armed an insurgent group who was fighting against Assad and trained them. Then instead of taking Assad down, they took out half of Iraq and put the American-trained Iraqi army to flight without a shot fired.

Then all the propaganda began about them killing Christians, beheading, and raping. (Is it really happening? I have no idea since we can't trust the media and nobody I know personally is boots on the ground there.)

Now, we're attacking Syria again, supposedly to kill ISIS targets. Yet there are plenty ISIS targets in Iraq too, where we've been invited. Syria didn't invite us. They're still a sovereign country.

Imagine if Canada was bombing insurgents in Minnesota without permission of the United States.

This is crazy, and I can't imagine it will be long before Russia steps to the defense of Syria.

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
The big "O" is gonna address this at 10 AM this morning on TV.

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
Apparently according to a number of sources I've seen,
Syria was given advance notice of our intentions......

It's unclear whether they voiced any disapproval or not,
although it's also doubtful that it would have mattered.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I'm all for getting rid of the terrorists, I just wonder if this is the best way to go about it, and how effective it actually is. I hope we're not bombing more civilians than terrorists.

Thanks for the back story Ernie. The Russian alliance does worry me. That and our troops have been deployed for so long. They gotta be wore out, not to mention our equipment.

I have my doubts that we are in very good shape to tangle with Russia right now.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I'm all for getting rid of the terrorists, I just wonder if this is the best way to go about it, and how effective it actually is. I hope we're not bombing more civilians than terrorists.

Thanks for the back story Ernie. The Russian alliance does worry me. That and our troops have been deployed for so long. They gotta be wore out, not to mention our equipment.

I have my doubts that we are in very good shape to tangle with Russia right now.
Ah, but consider the purpose of perpetual war, Pearl.

All those young men ground up and maimed in the machines of war would be here on the mainland looking for jobs that don't exist. And growing dissatisfied with the government. It's much more glorious in our culture to be "thanked for your service" as you hobble around on your artificial leg than it is to sack groceries down at the Spend-and-Save at the age of thirty.

And all that equipment being worn out is constantly replaced by the defense industry, at a substantial profit. Consider which stocks gained a HUGE boost overnight as the war commenced.

And finally, look at ALL of the politicians who have suddenly become pro-war as the elections near. Even the ones who criticized Bush are lining up to tout their party's efforts to "defend the homeland". And "homeland" is a phrase being used much more often lately and it's creeping me right out.

War is good for government. When they can convince the citizenry to engage in it in a perpetual defense against enemies either real or manufactured, then government grows in power and prospers.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ah, but consider the purpose of perpetual war, Pearl.

All those young men ground up and maimed in the machines of war would be here on the mainland looking for jobs that don't exist. And growing dissatisfied with the government. It's much more glorious in our culture to be "thanked for your service" as you hobble around on your artificial leg than it is to sack groceries down at the Spend-and-Save at the age of thirty.

And all that equipment being worn out is constantly replaced by the defense industry, at a substantial profit. Consider which stocks gained a HUGE boost overnight as the war commenced.

And finally, look at ALL of the politicians who have suddenly become pro-war as the elections near. Even the ones who criticized Bush are lining up to tout their party's efforts to "defend the homeland". And "homeland" is a phrase being used much more often lately and it's creeping me right out.

War is good for government. When they can convince the citizenry to engage in it in a perpetual defense against enemies either real or manufactured, then government grows in power and prospers.
You know, I thought maybe it was just me. Reminds me of a guy with a mustache and a need for elbow room. Or maybe it was that guy named George who wrote a couple of books. Nah, that's paranoid.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
" War is good for government." When they can convince the citizenry to engage in it in a perpetual defense against enemies either real or manufactured, then government grows in power and prospers.
My dear departed father used to say that often. I had forgotten about that aspect. Funny how when the economy goes in the toilet a good war usually happens.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
According to the historical record, Tokyo gave us advance notice of the bombing of Pearl Harbor via their ambassador as well. About the time it actually started.
Yes they did. It was about an hour too late. But go ahead and re wright history there are many things that you could fix.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
You know, I thought maybe it was just me. Reminds me of a guy with a mustache and a need for elbow room. Or maybe it was that guy named George who wrote a couple of books. Nah, that's paranoid.
Nope...not just you. I noticed that the media has just about replaced any other reference for this country with "homeland" lately as well...and it just doesn't "feel right" to me for some reason.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts