boiler wood stove combo

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by happy@home, Jul 22, 2005.

1. happy@home

happy@home Well-Known Member

Had a guy over to check our chimmney to make sure it is safe to add a wood stove and he told me I could get a wood stove and boiler combination (not a furnace but a stove). I had no idea, the only thing I had found were the furnaces for basements. I think he said the brand was pyrotech or pyrotechnic but my internet searches aren't turning up anything. Does anyone know anything about this and could you point me in the right direction to find one? I'd like to look at them online and also find a dealer in my area but haven't found anything so far.
    Thanks

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

A year ago when I was looking for a basement boiler, I came across several 'stove' models that had pipe coils inside the firebox to make hot water. They did not suit my needs and did not always look to be the best design, but there are several out there so I really didn't take much notice. Are you looking to heat your water, or pipe some hot water to other rooms, or a more intense use of the hot water? Think they would handle the first 2 needs....

There is a Yahoo news group called 'Wood Heat' that would be an excellent place to ask about it if you can't turn anything else. Just need to sign up for a free email accvount & look through their groups section.

--->Paul

3. happy@home

happy@home Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll look for a group on yahoo. We have hot water radiators throughout the house connected to a gas fire boiler in the basement. I'm not sure if the woodstove is designed to heat the radiators in all the rooms or just the one nearest to the stove. I should have asked more questions yesterday. Thanks for your input, I appreicate it.

4. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

This system is well used in UK and continental Europe. AGAs and Rayburns are the most popular brands in the UK. Some of the larger models can run 15 radiators and still provide hot water for household use. They are large radiant stoves that must stay on all the time but in winter they provide excellent constant heat for the home. I've even seen a close dryer rack that sets on top of the AGA to dry clothes in the winter. They are wonderful things. I wanted to bring one with me when I returned but sadly we ran out of time before we left.

The US models I've seen aren't nearly as good (mostly cast iron instead of the insulated mass units that the AGA and Rayburn are. Good luck finding what you need.

J