boiler system with room radiators, can we add

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by happy@home, Feb 28, 2005.

1. happy@home

happy@home Well-Known Member

a wood stove to it to heat part time with wood? We would like to be able to go back and forth between the wood and the propane boiler that we have. I'm usually at home so we would use wood mostly and supplement with the propane boiler at other times, will it work? Any websites or book recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

You can tie in a wood heating boiler furnace to they system. You need a seperate chimney, & the furnace is not the cheapest thing in the world. But yes, you can. I've had heating oil/ wood in my basement since '72, works well. (Before that it was wood only here in Minnesota.) My wood boiler busted last year, & I spent some time researching it. There are about 4-8 good manufaturers of an indoor boiler system.

Another option is one of those outdoor boilers. There are several knocks against them - much less efficient, can be smoky, cost more, built to less exacting specs, and they are unpressurised so they do not last as long as your indoor system with 'black water' would.

On the plus side, your insureance co will be much happier with an outdoor style.

Tarm, AHS, Harmon, & several others are good indoor boilers. They all have web sites, and I fould a real good discussion group on Yahoo on wood heat, lot of smart folks there & good resources.

I spent several months checking it all out before I bought mine, but did not get it installed yet.

Or, you could put a wood _stove_ in your house & heat a room or 2 with that, letting the propane furnace fill in the difference.

A 'furnace' heats the whole building, a 'stove' heats a room, a 'boiler' is a water system. So I'm guessing you are looking for a wood boiler furnace? :)

Posy or PM me for more info if I can help with anything.

--->Paul

3. happy@home

happy@home Well-Known Member

A 'furnace' heats the whole building, a 'stove' heats a room, a 'boiler' is a water system. So I'm guessing you are looking for a wood boiler furnace? :)

Thanks for the information, I guess we are looking for a wood boiler furnace. Thanks for letting me know it's possible. We considered just a woodstove in the basement in hopes that the heat would rise and keep the floors warmer but I don't know if that would be worth bothering with. We have a chimmney but it's not being used so we aren't sure if it's cracked or something somewhere because it's been sheetrocked around. The propane boiler we have vents through a basement window. I guess we'll have to get someone who does heating to let us know if the chimmney is usable for a wood boiler. The spot closest to the chimmney on the main floor where we could put a woodstove is already occupied by a big radiator that is the heat source for two rooms so I'm not sure if putting in a woodstove on the main floor will work. Ideally I would put a wood cookstove in the kitchen but there is no room and no chimney so that is out.
    Thanks for the information, you helped a lot.

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

What boiler did you end up getting, and could you share with us the reasons for your choice? I'm looking to replace parts of our heating system, and I have put in-floor coils where possible when doing remodeling in the last 8 years or so (in the floor of the garage, the sun room/greenhouse, etc.)
    I'm always looking for more info before making a decision.
    Thanks.

Jim