Boers

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dbarjacres, Jul 11, 2005.

1. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Just wondering how you boer owners/breeders rate your goats for healthiness? Do they seem hardy or prone to sickness?

Ours seem to be hardier than our fainters. We just went thru a pneumonia spell here and as there was NO signs on the 2 does that died, except they went off feed, depression, and bloat, we had no clue. Half the fainters were sick, our boers and %'s were not. May be switching to boers if this is true. Thanks!

2. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

My boers seem also to be fairly hardy. Never had a sick one yet *knock on wood* I have had them for about a year and a half.

MotherClucker

3. PLPP

PLPP Boer Lover

Boers were bred for hardyness. Mine are very hardy.

4. mailman

mailman Miniature Cattle

I have only had my boers one year. 6 does. They all gave birth well. No problems at all. I was expecting MAYBE one problem/death. But 6 does is not a large herd. Large herds should be subject to different parameters.

5. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

I have had boers for a few years, they are so hardy. I have never seen as much as a sneeze out of them. Of couse I mainly have dairy goats and compared to the boers they are pansies. :)

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I've only had Boers for a couple months and even I can tell you that they are hardy.

7. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I have only had Boers for a bit over a year, and only a few. They do better on just forage than dairy goats and have never been sick. But then again, my dairy goats haven't been sick either (knock on wood). I have a total of 14 goats and have not lost a baby or an adult or had any illness whatsoever. The Boers seem to eat more regular grass than the dairy goats do, who prefer more browse....Diane

8. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Hey TexCountryWoman, I never really took to much notice but since you mintioned it our Boers do seem to like grass, while our MiniNubians like bushs and anything that looks like one.

9. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

We raise boers and they are a hardy bunch :clap: In three years, we've only had 2 dead babies. On the first one it was the nannys 1st birth and she had it outside in the cold and it froze to death. The other one was breech - but that nanny had a huge beautiful billy this year, with no problems. You may want to read up on Kiko/Boer cross. It's my understanding that Kiko's are even hardier and less maintenance than boer.

10. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Glad you are all having such luck with your boers! We did decide to drop our fainters down to 2 does and one buck and we will be building up our reg. and % grade boer does. I just love there personalities. They are so mellow!

The kikos are a good idea, but really hard to come by up here in Wisconsin. I saw some beautiful Kikos in the Goat Rancher advertised.

Thanks, Jenny