Boers easier to contain than Nubians?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kathy'sKID, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Kathy'sKID

Kathy'sKID Kelly in Nebraksa

Is this true? We read it somewhere and are in the process of planning fencing for some boers. We need to re-do our nubians' fencing as well.....they are always finding ways to get out.

2. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

We have absolutly no problems with our boers or fainters. The boers are too heavy and unathletic to try to be too creative in escaping.

3. WE had Boer goats for awhile-nothing cuter than a baby goat! We kept our buck in his own pasture on the other side of the property-did quite well until one day a Moose scared him right over/through the electric wire-seems that once he realized that he could jump that high there was nothing that would keep him in. I've found that true with alot of animals-they seem to be quite content until one day they accidentally get out and then a whole new world opens up for them.

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I have Nubians and American Alpines in 39 inch field fence, and have never had one get out. It's also the same type of fence that the breeders of all my goats had, and the same that my dad uses for his Boers. On the other hand, a Boer buck I borrowed to breed last fall simply walked the fence down like it wasn't even there! He was from next door, and my girls weren't yet in heat, but his were. He knew where he wanted to be! My girls, however, did not even follow him over the now weakened fence. (Which was repaired ASAP!) Dad constantly has his Boers getting out, but his fencing is old, and so is he :eek: , and he has a tendency to do patchwork on it, rather than proper repairs.

Personally, I think it's a matter of how tight the fence is, more than how high, and of course, where the preferred food is...inside or out!

Meg

5. mailman

mailman Miniature Cattle

I have boers. I use an electric fence (4 strands) that is about 3 1/2foot high. Once they got shocked by it and learned what it was, they have never challenged it, even when it is switched off. They feel no pressure to challenge it, as there is plenty of pasture for them. However, the fence narrows and funnels into the barn. They camp out in front of the barn until I open the doors for them at night. While in this small area you would think that they would try to jump out or crash through, but they do not. Could it be the 6000 volts (low amperage of course)?