Boers does not wanting babies

Discussion in 'Goats' started by lscheopner, Dec 13, 2006.

1. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

A friend called tonight and she has had 3 does have babies. Her husband got the goats a couple months ago and she is in way over her head. The first 2 does to birth would have nothing to do with the babies. The third seems to be doing fine with her twins. All have had twins and she has lost one from each of the first 2 does. Neither one will let the remaining one suck. They kick every time. She has to hold the does and one back foot for them to suck.
    Ours seem to love their babies the minute they are born, licking and protecting them. Hers could care less. All of her Boers came from the same breeder and have had babies before. She is wondering if this is something in her line of goats or just a freak thing? Has anyone had this happen and what do you suggest she do? She pens them all up in seperate pens so they will bond with the babies but it has been 2 days for the first doe. Any ideas besides taking them away and bottle feeding them?

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

The babies may have something wrong with them, and she may know it. Hopefully not, but that can often be the case (in other animals, I'm new to goats).

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I've never heard of a line of goats that has this trait, however this may be the reason the breeder chose to sell those particular goats. The important thing now is to be sure the kids are getting enough milk. If your friend is persistant with holding the does several times a day until the babies have had their fill, the does may eventually accept their kids. I had a first freshener Boer who took a week to accept her kid. Last year she had triplets and was a good mom to two of them. I pulled the third one at birth and bottle fed her so the doe wouldn't be overwhelmed. The other option is to milk the does and bottle feed the babies.

4. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

It can depend on the doe,and how "compfortable" she is w/humans-some will abandon their kids if there is too much human intervention at the birthing,she lets her "distrust" for humans, over ride her "maternal" bonding w/kids. I bought a doe that previous owners told me,"would only accept one of her kids" the year b-4-i try to "watch" each kidding, and this year--it was obvious that had i "jumped right in and started wiping them off"-she would have never taken them--i backed way off, she re-entered the barn-started licking them off..and was a wonderful mother! While some have strong "earth mother" instincts--others have a very fragile minutes to form a strong bond-we can interupt it easily with our "well intentions"--chances are, the does in question do not consider the kids "theirs" for whatever reason. They may come around w/consistant holdings-but odds are, the kids will not be getting enough to eat. I would atleast supplement w/a bottle.

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Nutrition can also be a point. Does who are not having their nutritional needs met will sometimes refuse their kids. Are they getting a *good* hay, some feed, any alfalfa and a good loose mineral??

6. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

I hope I have this right..the two does rejecting a kid each have both lost a kid..right?

First thing I would do..Get a good hold on mom and milk her some..it may well be that their bags are so full from only having one kid..that they won't let the remaining ones suck.

Meaning that their bags are really sore. Had they let any suck?

Just a thought..

7. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know if this works on goats but I have heard of dogs being used to get cows to let their calves nurse. The dog is told to stay or tied up where the cow can see it. The cow is so intent on watching the dog it doesn't notice the calves sucking.

8. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

I will ask what she is feeding and if they have any mineral. That would be a good place to start.