boer tails???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by JR05, Jul 13, 2006.

1. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Here is one for you boer herders! Someone told a child that by looking at the tail you can tell if it is a boer or something else. Also paid him only .90 per pound on 3 mos old kids. Told him that was the going price. Just looked at the local sales and price is 1.15-1.25 this month. This is the reason we have problems getting people interested in goats!

jr05

2. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Did they say what to look at on the tail. Now I'm going to go out look for a difference between the Boer and Saanen tails. I can just imagine what my neighbors will say if they drive by and see me going from goat to goat checking out their tails! LOL

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

You can generally tell by looking at the goat if it is a Boer. I don't notice that the tails, themselves look any different. What I have heard about Boer tails is that in the show ring, Boers are supposed to show some colored pigment under the tail. In my boers, the fleshy part on the back side of the tail as well as the flesh around the privates has what looks like freckles.

4. Terre d'Esprit

Terre d'Esprit Boer-ing Mom

A fullblood boer is required to have at least 75% pigmentation on its tail. Any less is a disqualification in the ring. Percentage boers can have 50%, but no less.

5. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

Interesting!

I have my first two goats. The first one I was told the mother was white with a red head and floppy ears..... sounds like a boar. But she didn't know what the father looks like. But she believes the guy she got him from only raises meat goats. BUT... this little one doesn't have any spots on the underside of his tail. The skin is a sorta darkish red/brown. Then my other one, a 3/4 boar 1/4 kiko has light pink skin on the butt with large brown spots (large freckles I guess you could call them).

I really wish I could find out what my little buck really is. He's shaped more dairy, IMO. In the begining I thought Saanen mix, but after being told what his mother looked like I've been confused.

6. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Yep skin pigment is much darker on boer and boer crosses on their tail. I can attest to that! LOL...all my boer X's have real dark tails or real spotted tails. Also their teats can be that way sometimes.

MotherClucker
    ps: I believe what they really want in the show rings is a all dark pigmant on the tail skin?

7. Faithful Heart

So are you saying dairy and dairy crosses have light skin on the tail?

If I took a pic of his tail :rolleyes: could you tell if he was a boar cross or a dairy cross?? LOL

8. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Lol....Dairy goats normally have light skin. Granted a black doe probably won't have pink skin on her tail :p .

MotherClucker

9. Terre d'Esprit

Terre d'Esprit Boer-ing Mom

I have a FB Saanen, she has a white coat, and her skin underneath is pink (gets sunburned, so we have to put sunscreen on her!). Her tail has no pigmentation. I have FB boers, also, and they, too, have a white coat, with the red head. However, their skin is a reddish brown, even though they have the white coat. I have a FB buck, but his tail pigment is only spotted, and probably only 50% (or less, which would DQ him in a show). The doeling I have is 100% pigmented in her tail. Now, I have a Boer/Saanen cross, and he has a white coat, with the pink skin, like the Saanen. He does have a couple of faint spots on his tail, but for the most part he has no pigmentation. I think it would be difficult to tell a cross from a fb by looking for pigmentation. My FB and x look very similar.

10. Faithful Heart

ok........

This is so cool. :) Fasinating to me.

Now does anyone know what color the skin is on a kiko? I know it's wishful thinking, but always a possibility that my buck is a boar/kiko cross. Maybe more kiko than boar?? :rolleyes: We do have a lot of people crossing those two around here.

He's mostly white, with coarse fur (not soft like the boar), and has some tan markings. The skin seen on his tail is a solid redish brown. His face does not have the roman nose like the boar or nubian. He also has "spikey" line of fur down is neck and back. I truely suspect he's got boar in him now....... but what else?

Here's the best pictures I have that shows his color, fur type, body shape, horns, and face shape.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

I had to run outside and look at my Boer's tails. This is what I found. My two fullblood Boers both have dark chocolate skin on their tails, my purebred doe has a speckled tail with dark chocolate spots. All of their babies were sired by a Nubian buck and all of them, including the one from my fullblood, all have speckled tails.
    Just my findings. But I will say, the baby from the fullblood has more spots on his tail than the ones from the purebred.

12. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I don't see any Boer in him Beth.

13. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

That second picture looks a lot like my Saanen, other than the ears. The bone structure looks a lot like them also. My Saanens also have the spikey hair down the middle of their backs. When they get fiesty, the hair stands up and they do a little sideways jig.

14. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the responses. the kids were at least part boer to my knowledge as the mom is FB boer, I have seen her. The guy told the child that there wasn't any boer in the kids and that is why the low price. And yes like everyone else I also went out and looked at the backsides of my goats and the color is different on the tails. I hope he felt like a "big" man ripping off a child.

jr05

15. Faithful Heart

I don't see any boar in him either. :rolleyes: I was just told by the lady I got him from (and she got him and his sister from someone else), that his mother was "white, with a red head and floppy ears". That sounds like a boar. When I asked her if she had any idea what his father was, she didn't have any idea even what he looked like, but believes the guy only has meat goats.

Alot of help, huh? :shrug: This is gonna drive me crazy I guess till I find out.

I thought saanen too...... as my best guess. I'm thinking about the best two guesses would be saanen/boar or kiko/boar.

- a nubian/boar would definately have a roman nose and floppy ears
    - an alpine/boar would probably be more colored
    And many of the other breeds just aren't very common around here.

BUT...... It seems like every boar raiser around here has been aquiring kikos how ever they can afford to get them. Usually spending the big money to get a kiko buck to breed to all the boar does they already have. Others that are just starting out with goats are going after the 50% percent kikos if they can't afford anything higher in percent.

(sigh) Oh well..... maybe I should just not worry over it. Neither my 3/4 boar 1/4 kiko doe, nor him, has papers or anything. It just would be nice to know I guess.... for planning reasons. If he's all meat goat, we'll breed him to the doe. Even if it's spanish or something. If he's mostly influenced by dairy then we'd like to stick to breeding him with a dairy doe and get a proper meat buck for the other. I don't want to end up making her babies smaller than a boar or kiko by throwing in dairy influence. We intend to raise them for the meat.

Ideally we'd like to have 2-3 full or percent kiko does, 1 full or percent kiko buck, and 1 dairy doe. Having a dairy buck is not really needed, but is ok too. If we DIDN'T have a dairy buck, we'd just end up having to raise a wether just to keep the meat buck we'll eventually have company.

:bash: Wish I could stop trying to guess what he is and just KNOW! But the only real way to find out is if the lady that had him calls the original owner. And no one ever works on the time table that we ourselves would. I've already asked her about 5 times to give him a call. :shrug:

16. R.Adams

R.Adams Well-Known Member

I think he could have some boer blood in him. I had some 1/2 spanish 1/2 boer does that looked almost just like that. They were out of a full blood paint boer buck. The spanish influence made them more thin built like yours.

17. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I went looking for the Kiko's and pulled up a site. The first picture that came up looked EXACTLY like your little buck. Take a look and let me know what you think. Possible saanen/kiko mix?
    http://www.buttingheadsranch.biz/kikos/kikos.html
    The only good thing that I have found about the boers is that if you have kids with the red head and white markings, you will get better prices then an equally or better solid colored goat. Mind set I guess.

18. Faithful Heart

Yeah.... I agree. With all the pictures I've scanned over, I do feel he's gotta have either saanen or kiko. But, then like R.Adams said, he had some half spanish that looked that way too. :shrug: But look at these pics.

Full Kiko ........

[​IMG]

And Saanen/Nubian cross......

[​IMG]

He looked quite a bit like either one of those babies when he came here.

19. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

FB Boer kids sometimes are born with spotted tails and many times they will have darkened totally by the time they reach adulthood.

20. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

I would guess Saanen/Boer cross and possibly some Kiko in there somewhere. I say Boer because of his coloring ( may have been a paint Boer somewhere along the line.), my Saanen/Boer cross doe is identical. Other then color I see no other Boer characteristics. As his horns develope you may get a better guess at any Kiko influence.