Boer/Saanen

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dunroven, Oct 18, 2005.

1. dunroven

dunroven Well-Known Member Supporter

Can anyone tell me what I might expect to pay for good does of this cross? I want to be on the lookout for some for spring, but want to be sure I'm doing the right thing. I have heard that this cross is a wonderful meat/milk producer. Is this true? Also, about how much should I expect to pay for a good Boer buck?

Thanks for any advice!

2. dunroven

3. Terre d'Esprit

Terre d'Esprit Boer-ing Mom

I have a Saanen/Boer cross wether, and he is big and stocky. He's got a fun personality, too! : ) I realize that this info isn't going to help you much, but nobody has answered, so...

I paid $65 for him, we just keep him as a pet (weed control). When my son wanted a dairy goat for 4H, I immediately thought of the Saanen in him, and that he was so fun to work with that my son might like a Saanen. We bought him a purebred doeling for $150.

Maybe somewhere between the two prices?? $100??

We had to travel quite far to find a Saanen breeder in Iowa, so good luck.

T

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought two Boer/Saanen does a couple years ago. They were between 2 and 3 years old at the time, BIG, STOCKY girls. I felt very lucky to get them for $100 apeice. I would think they should have been priced at $125-$150.

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I have NO idea about Saanans, but I do know about Boers. O.K. for the price of a boer buck you could expect anything from $600, one that is about 4 months old, to well in the thousands, but that is ONLY for a KICK BUTT one, our fullgrown buck is worth $2,000, he has pretty good bloodlines, our four month old red one though will be worth a LOT more when he grows up. There are also different types of Boers such as reds, paints, two teated, and blacks. The prices differ depending on the type of boer, and bloodlines. Well that is about all. See ya bye.

6. dunroven

Thanks guys! I'm going to keep watching. I will get my goat yet! LOL!

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are looking for milk and meat....you'll want the Sanaan to be the father and Boer mother....the offspring is Sanaan/Boer (father's influence comes first)..you'll get much more milk production with this cross versus a Boer/Sanaan. Clear as mud????

8. ozark_jewels

As for a price on a Boer buck....It depends on soooooo many factors. Your area, his bloodlines, registered vs non, his age, his color(paints, reds and blacks usually cost more), FB vs Percentage and whether or not he is show quality. I paid $800 for my 1st buck, and $500 for my second buck. They were both very nice, show quality Boers and throw awesome kids. But if you take the time, and only want a nice buck to sire some good meat kids, then you could usually find one for anywhere from $300 and up.

Emily Dixon
    Ozark Jewels
    Boers, Nubians, Lamanchas and Alpines

9. ozark_jewels

Well......that depends also on how MUCH milk you want. I have a Boer/Saanen doe(sired by a Boer buck from a Saanen doe), that milks like a cow!! So I guess it would depend on the individual doe.

Emily Dixon
    Ozark Jewels
    Boers, Nubians, Lamanchas and Alpines

10. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Mine are all out of Saanen does bred by boer bucks. And I love them. The kids are always bigger at younger ages...great for selling to meat customers.

I am ready to wean my 50/50 boer/saanen doe now. I know she will take me at least into spring milking her. This cross at the 50/50 level is an awesome milker.

But..I am partial! Good luck!

11. dunroven

Sher will you be having any kids that you will be wanting to sell in the Spring? If so, how much do you think you might want for them. We have some pygmies now, but have sold them, and we have 1 very old Saanen who has been foundered and is just an old pet. He is quite the old guy. He likes our little mules and plays with them all the time, but he doesn't like the other goats. He didn't come with them anyway. He will stay, but the others are going. Anyway, if you had some of your little doelings, I might like to talk to you about them, but again, not until spring.

12. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

LOL...God willing I should have kids from my purebred ole girl..Weezie..yet this fall. I will be breeding her daughter, Helen, around Nov. sometime. So yes...I am in great hopes to have some more on the ground by spring.

I sold a bunch of does for $80.00 this year. My friends all said I sold too cheap. I don't need the highest dollar...but I don't want to give them away either. I should think between $80 and $100 will catch them.

I'll let you know when they hit the ground..what they are..males or females.

I still have two bucks I need to find a home for. They are brothers. 3/4 Boer and 1/4 Nubian. They are pretty nice...especially one..but I don't need three bucks around here...life is interesting enough! LOL!!

Have a great weekend!

13. dunroven

We'd love to get the buck from you, but we are kind of cash poor right now, what with getting ready for winter with all of our other critters. However, in the spring, I would be interested in talking to you about Boer/Saanen cross doelings. Then we would get a buck somewhere else, hopefully all Boer. Anyway, that's our plans for now. I'll be looking forward to hearing from you on the babies.

Thanks!