Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The goats to be coming my way later this spring I believe are from a commercial herd. I was looking into the possibility of getting them or their progeny registered. My inquiry to the American Boer Goat Association went unanswered so I decided to read their rules and regs.

Rule 209: Ineligible for Registration
A. Date of Birth Issues:
i. A kid born less than one hundred forty (140) days after birth of its dam’s most recent kid(s) shall not be eligible for registration except in the case of embryo kids, as provided for in Rule 501.
ii. An offspring born greater than 159 days from the service date as listed on the ABGA certificate, embryo transfer form, transfer records or other records.

B. Kids whose sire or dam was less than 90 days old at time of their conception

C. Kids whose sire does not have DNA testing on file with the Association in accordance with Rule 801.

D. Kids whose sire and/or dam has been excluded as a possible parent through DNA qualification or verification.

E. Uncertain or Unknown Parentage:
i. Whenever the eligibility for registration of any animal is in doubt because of uncertain or unknown parentage, DNA testing will be required by the Association.
ii. If an animal is found to have incorrectly listed parentage, the animal will not be eligible for registration until correct parentage is confirmed through DNA parentage verification.
iii. If an animal submitted for registration has the documented sire excluded through DNA marker testing, the animal will not be eligible for registration until a qualifying sire is identified through DNA marker testing.

Am I correct in assuming if I breed my unregistered animals with a registered male, the offspring would be okay to register?

·
Registered
924 Posts
No, I don't think so. There are Fullblood Boers and there are Purebred Boers. But, I don't breed Boers. Far as I know both parents have to be registered. However, some animal registries allow for a limited or special type of registration if one parent doesn't have papers. This varies hugely from one registry to another so I can't be more specific.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts