Boer kid question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by KimM, Aug 19, 2005.

1. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

My friend just bought a Boer doeling, 1 month old and it weighs 7 pounds! What should she weigh? She was being fed whole cow milk from a pan, was loaded with little bugs, boney and had scours.
    So far she gave her Ivomec, Vit B, and a good bath as well as got her on Save-A-Kid. Is this right?

2. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

If you can please try and get her on goats milk. I really hate using formula. Try calling a local vet and see if anybody has goats milk for sale.

Also feed her from a bottle with a nipple if you are not already. Goats are not made to be fed from a pan of milk. Has something to do with the way the milk goes down or what not (can't remember..maybe somebody else does). She is VERY tiny. Thats normally how much they weigh at birth. Get her on stuff for Cocci ASAP and start giving her probios in her milk(she probably has scours because of cocci and that is also probably partly why she is so darned skinney).

Also give her access to fresh water, some goat grain, and some alfalfa and hay. Feed her a couple times a day for a little while. Like 3 or 4 times a day and offer her a 16oz-20oz bottle each time. It helps when they are young to spread out the feedings more so they get more milk a day and they don't waste it by having way to much at one time.

Watch her for signs of pasturella or something else as that can come in in the stress of moving along with her immune system being down like it is.

MotherClucker

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

That really is tiny, I read that a couple of people have Boer Bucklings that at birth almost all of them are 16 pounds, and the girls 12 pounds. Sorry but that's all I know, I'm pretty new and stupid.