Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 day old kid that is walking on the top of his rear right hoof. Initially, he was dragging the leg; now he is moving it, and bearing his weight on the top side of his hoof. He doesn't seem to be in any pain and he doesn't seem to have any sensitive spots on it. Anyone ever had this problem before? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Often its just the ligaments; I've left them be, used vet wrap, and even used cardboard splints depending on the degree of looseness in the ligament. It usually clears up after a couple days.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
I've had a few kids like that - it clears up in 2 or 3 days, nothing to worry about. ;) The best doe in my barn had hocks that bent the wrong way for several days after she was born - made you feel ill to watch it. Now she's gorgeous.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update - the kid is doing much better this morning, putting weight on his hoof. Looks like it was a ligament problem. Like pookshollow said, it just hurt to watch!

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
That's good that's he walking better. Sometimes it's just the way they were in the womb, takes a bit to straighten out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts